I heard chirping!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wjallen05, Feb 25, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    The incubator is kept in our bedroom and I heard LOTS of chirping (first time!!) during the night last night. At first I thought I was imagining it, but then I heard it again... and again! I have been checking often but no pipping yet... today is day 21. How soon after you hear chirping do they usually start pipping?

2. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Oooooooh!! I have absolutely no idea, but I am so excited for you!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I keep watching mine, but nothing yut.... we are on day 19 or 20. I keep listening with my ear pressed against the hole, but it sounds like your are pretty load. Maybe I dont need to do that? :)

3. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:The first time you hear cheeping from inside an egg is a magical moment [​IMG]

4. chickedydoodaa

chickedydoodaa Taking a break

Feb 8, 2009
    Philadelphia PA
    you will probably see a few pips shortly, they may already be there, use a flashlight to look through the window on your bator and LOOK closely, some are small and hard to see the first initial cracks.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

It could easily be a day or more, leave them alone, do not open, do not touch, just peek in!!! LOL well, you could *cheep* back at them, they can hear it! [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sometimes the little critters pip on the underside of the egg so you cant watch their entrance. I have one right now that I really wanted to keep track of and he's pipped almost on the bottom-almost didnt see it.

7. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Why is it so important not to open the bator?

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You'll let out valuable humidity that they need for the membranes to stay moist.

9. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

*cough* if you did "accidentally" open it already, *cough* get some moisture in there right away. that dried out membrane gets very hard for them to get out of. [edit] toss in a clean new sponge soaked with VERY HOT water so it doesn't reduce the temp at all either! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by