I heard pecking all night...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sunne73, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Sunne73

Sunne73 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    I woke up around 3 am to pecking, I got so excited that I jumped out of bed to see...nothing....and still there is nothing. How long does it take once they break through to the air sac and start pecking the shell until they break through? Am I over obsessed with this whole process?

2. wishingbee

wishingbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    SW Washington
    I have no idea. I'm so excited for you though! Hope everything turns out well. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. h4ppy-chris

h4ppy-chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    took my 1st one 12 hours to get out but have read on here can take 24 hours so hang tight

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've heard tapping over a day before I've seen a pip. Try not to worry too much. Easy to say I know! [​IMG]

5. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    My very 1st one took 26 hours to come out. Poor girl worked hard! My other two took about 16 hours to come out! So dont worry they will come im very impatient too! I must have checked the bater like 50 times!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have had chicks take over 24hrs from pip to hatch. One thing to check if they do take a long time is to make sure they are not stuck. I have had a couple that died after pipping and I didn't realize they were stuck. This was when I first started hatching. Many people have said do not help under any circumstances as they will die. I have since helped. I am careful and break the shell away from the area they would normally zip. I usually put a cloth and paper towel on a heating pad and have a dish of warm water and q-tip or with my fingertip to keep the membrane soften while breaking off the shell. After I have zipped the shell if the chick isn't stuck, put it back in the incubator to finish hatching. There are times when I have had to assist the chick hatch too but I try not to if I don't have to.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  7. Sunne73

Sunne73 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Ok, I am trying my best to stay occupied and away from incubator. I probably have them terrified of the big flashing light that passes by every 15 minutes...but I think I hear peeps, fantom peeps because I have just plain lost it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by