I heard the peafowl alert and RAN outside

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Msbear, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I could hear the alert from inside the house... the loud honks, the distress.. I ran out into the barnyard to see my 4 peas way out in the hay field milling around and honking to one another and, I really think, to me.

My 4year old and I took off out there. We knew something was wrong. I looked up. No hawks. I looked around... nothing. We checked in the rock breaks where the locust trees grow.. nothing. Then I saw a trail of white feathers leading away from the peas... leading to a big poof of white down. I turned and ran toward the peas thinking one of them was hurt and they were looking at something bedded down in the hay... a hurt white homing pigeon.

I almost cried when I realized they had fended off the hawk that struck the bird and was keeping it at bay until I got there. As soon as I scooped up the bird, my son and I walked back toward the barns and they ran after me anxiously looking in my hands.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this with their peafowl. I've seen my turkeys chase stray dogs but this is totally wow!

I cleaned up the pigeon and found two puncture holes under a wing and on its back. Rinsed it out, disinfected and put a glob of neosporin on it.. Its chilling in a crate for now just relaxing hope he pulls through.

2. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow. Cool story!
    Thanks for sharing.

3. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Awwwwww your peafowl deserve a treat! What a wonderful story.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    VERY cool story. I hope the pigeon pulls through.

5. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    That really is a neat story - good peacocks!

6. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    [​IMG] for your peas! Glad you were home to hear them!
    Hopefully the little pigeon will be back to new in no time! [​IMG]

7. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    hope the pigeon lives. but i think of the poor hungry hawk. must be scary as all h*** trying to get yourself a meal and 4 peacocks/hens come at your honking and making all types of loud yells! [​IMG] the hawk is prolly thinking to himself WTH was that about?!?! [​IMG]

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Yea for your Peas [​IMG]

I have seen my peas chasing after the local red tail hawk as well as other intruding birds.

And what i learned from mine if any bird threatens them like my broody hens or duck did they will gang up on it and chase it relentlessly.
    They chased one of my broodies into hiding for 3 days.
    I had to place a brush pile near the feeding area for the poor hen to hide till the peas finely let her alone.
    here they are looking into the pile, but they could not get to her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Peas were not bothering the hen at first ,Master P was walking by and the hen jumped on him and then Master had a V for vendetta

[​IMG]

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hoping the pigeon will be okay [​IMG]
    Brave souls you've got there...
    JJ

10. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    And that's just another reason to love peas!!!
    Hope the pigeon makes it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by