I Heart Cubalayas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BeautifulPacificNorthwest, Feb 10, 2011.

1. BeautifulPacificNorthwest

BeautifulPacificNorthwest Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2010
    Oh no, I'm falling in love. [​IMG]

My Cubalaya hens are the sweetest little things! I happily acquired 2 roosters and 3 hens from a friend. I unfortunately lost one hen shortly after (I have no idea what happened to her---she just disappeared) but everybody mingles with my mixed group really well. In fact, the roosters are strutting their stuff all over the chicken yard if ya know what I mean [​IMG]

They were probably 6 months old when I got them. They had not been handled or particularly acclimated to humans. When they joined the flock, I figured they would just be skittish members underfoot. Instead, the hens have been verbal, curious and friendly. While I'm out cleaning or tending, they are my inquisitive company. The roosters however, are all rooster---I keep my eye on them.

Today I found my first Cubalaya egg. [​IMG] My plan is to isolate the two hens with a rooster in the spring. Keep your fingers crossed. I've never bred chickens before, but I sure would like more of these delightful little birds.

Anyone else have any experiences or insight with this breed?

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I'm so jealous.

I have been trying to find Cubas near me, but can't get anyone to returnemails, phone calls or pms.

I'd be happy with a nice roo to mix in with my Game hens.

3. BeautifulPacificNorthwest

Oct 9, 2010
    I feel lucky. I just stumbled onto ownership of mine.

They really are beautiful, both the hens and roosters. I'll try to post pictures this weekend.

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:Maybe if I have something you like we can exchange hatching eggs.

5. gallorojo

gallorojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
  6. BeautifulPacificNorthwest

Oct 9, 2010
    Hey Gallorojo: Thanks for the link to the thread. [​IMG] I've looked at it before and was amazed at the beautiful birds and all the information. Lots of stuff about proper breed standards and breeding. You guys really know your stuff and speak a language I don't even understand [​IMG]... yet

Alas, I think my birds are probably mere hatchery birds, nothing fancy or show worthy. I do enjoy them though. [​IMG] They have great personalities and are a beautiful addition to my flock. From everything I've read, the hens make wonderful mothers. Maybe I'll be lucky and I'll be able to increase my number.

Wolftracks: See above for the quality of my birds. I really believe they are probably just run of the mill Cubalaya's. If you're still interested in the spring, and if I have fertile eggs, I'd be happy to send some to you. You can teach me what to do and how to handle eggs for hatching. It's all so very new to me.

7. gallorojo

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    The hatchery Cubalayas are mostly just too small, but, so are a few lines from breeders. Compared to some hatchery breeds, they are not really all that bad. If you are just starting out, it's a decent start. Learn to raise them a few years, then see about getting yourself some breeder birds if you are still so inclined. None of my birds are nearly large enough, so don't feel bad.

8. BeautifulPacificNorthwest

Oct 9, 2010
    Here's pictures of my Cubalaya's
    What do you think?
    Oh, and, I found another egg today![​IMG]

Here's one rooster:

[​IMG]

Here's the other. Don't know how I'll tell them apart once his tail feather grow out

[​IMG]

This hen is so sweet it was hard to take the picture. Every time I would squat down, she'd come running up to me. I finally was able to zoom in on her. She's got a little pin feather thing going on on her head. I don't know what's up with that. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't easily isolate my other hen, so here's everyone together

[​IMG]

9. gallorojo

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    I'm hardly qualified to answer this, but I will give it a shot. Don't take it personally, I have had birds with plenty of faults. ( ?Ha- still do![​IMG] )

Ok, overall, they are not too bad. They both look small/thin to me. The feathering seems not profuse enough, nor are the tails long enough. You want the tails to be longer than beak to start of tail. Tails above the horizontal are a disqualification. Eyes should be red, beaks short. Now, I do like the stance and carriage of the wings, nice. The cockerels sort of remind me of a peacomb American Game.They are nice looking birds, but something I cannot identify is not quite right for a Cubalaya? The pullets look decent, eyes and shanks are the right colors. I prefer them to be darker in color, but that is just me-nothing wrong with yours.

How old are they, and how much do they weigh?

What breeding are they?

They may get better with age if they are still young.

Good luck with breeding them!!![​IMG]

10. BeautifulPacificNorthwest

Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks Gallorojo. I appreciate your assessment [​IMG]
    I don't know too much about them.

Age? Under a year for sure.
    I have no idea how much they weigh, they are small though.
    I don't what breeding they are. In fact, I'm not really sure what the question means [​IMG]

I believe my friend ordered them from a breeder on Criag's List. Or maybe she ordered the eggs and the CL lady hatched them out for her. Next time I see her, I'll ask her more about them. She has a connection with someone who will order any eggs you want, hatch them out for you and then raise them until they are feathered out. I'm going to try to get a few more this way.

I really like the hens. They are so inquisitive and friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by