I helped out a shrink wrapped Guinea chick...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gardenknitter, May 23, 2010.

1. gardenknitter

gardenknitter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Not sure if he will make it though. He's flopping around in there and trying, but definitely much weaker that the others were at hatch. Time will tell but prayer never hurts! Out of 15 eggs, so far 8 have hatched successfully. This is the first problem I have had. The remaining 6 eggs have yet to pip, but they are the ones that when I candled last, were a little further behind the others, so I expect they will soon.

2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I'll think good thoughts for the little keet and hope for the best! [​IMG] I helped some shrink wrapped chicks my last hatch, and all of them made it and are perfectly healthy despite being a little weak at first, so definitely don't give up hope. I hope the rest of your hatch goes well, too!

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  3. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    my little rescue is perched on my finger right now she was pretty weak at first but within 24 hours youll see how amazing it is what they can endure wish u well and send good juju;)

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    In the last few days, I've helped out two Guinea keets. Both were weaker-than-normal the first few hours, but are now doing really well! After hatching several batches of chicken eggs this year, and now a batch of Guinea eggs, I've found that the keets are much more hardy. For me, chicken chicks are quite delicate in comparison!

5. gardenknitter

gardenknitter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Thanks guys! I am happy to report that the little keet is doing just fine today!! He's not "perfect" but I put im in the brooder with the others last night and he is fitting right in and getting around. One of his little feet is a little wonky, which is what was giving him touble when I first helped him out. Took him a long time to get on his feet. Not sure if it will stay that way, but he gets around and is eating and drinking. [​IMG]

6. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Gratz on your little keet!

Pics please, pretty please, pretty please with a feather on top? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by