I helped the last SILKIE out...kinda sad

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Dec 9, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    The 6th and last silkie still hadn't PIP'd so I helped it....poor baby has a crossed beak. It looks fairly mild to me, but is for sure crossed. I've heard they can live ok like this, so I'll just see how she does. I've been planning to sel them off, but she can hang out here an d live with us no problem. [​IMG]

my order of mixed color silkies are all the same color, btw...[​IMG]

2. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    I am Kinda worried about my Duck, It started to Pip over 16 hrs ago and no more progress has been made, the last time I waited for them to hatch on there own they were Dried up and almost died, but I helped them out after 2 days, at what point do you help them? I dont want to kill them, but dont want them to die either?

3. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Ducks can easily take 36 hours from PIP to zip/coming out....so don't worry yet. [​IMG]

4. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    some of my Eggs I noticed a darker end, in the Fat end of the Egg where the Air Cell is, is that the Duck the popped the Cell, or fluid? I hope they are gonna make it, I am worried

5. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Most of my duck eggs have formed some discoloration at the fat end as well. I wouldn't worry about it.

The only reason I helped the last silkie is because it was the lone egg still not PIP'd and past it's hatch date by a couple days. I could hear it pecking, but feared something may be wrong. I made the tiniest hole in the fat end and chipped the shell till I could see it's beak...and it's crossed. Perhaps that's why it hadn't PIP'd. All it's blood vessels had dried up, so I zip'd part way for it and it seemed really tired. I zipped a bit more later on and it was able to slide out on it's own when ready. It seemed exhausted for a couple hours and is starting to dry and perk up now. But, my point is I only assisted because there seemed to be an issue. (past hatch date, last egg unPIP'd etc). In nature this chicky may haave passed away, being too weak to emerge due to the crossed beak...and some people would say to not assist and let it pass...I don't think there's a right or wrong there. I don;t regret helping it, and will care for it as long as it needs me to, unless it seems to be in pain later on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by