I honestly don't know how any of you folks get anything done all day!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chui Cat, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Chui Cat

Chui Cat Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2009
    Pittsboro
    It's a quiet day which, I thought I'd have all to myself and actually get some chores crossed off my honey-do list. Our hens are just beginning to lay and it has been very exciting. Early in the a.m. DH & I were just finishing up breakfast when we heard what HAD to be the egg song; our first time hearing it. We went out to see if the first-egg-while-we-are-home had come. NO it hadn't, but clearly, Bianca was wanting to so something. In and out of each nest box, scratching and turning. It seemed as though she didn't have enough litter in the box to suit her. When she came out of the coop, letting out a big "raptor roar", DH ducked in and threw 2 handfuls of litter into her box of preference. She soon returned. Scratch and turn, pick up bits and tuck them in. Soon several of the others came to watch, including Xena who apparently wanted to use the same box.

DH called me outside to ask my opinion on a project he was working on (well, trying to). When I got back to my "perch" Xena was trying to jam her way into Bianca's nestbox, with Bianca still in there. That's when I saw the little white egg! Oh JOY!! Finally Bianca left and Xena started the eenie meenie miney mo task of choosing a box. Muttering to herself the whole time. Again, she has an audience. What are they all looking at, anyway??

Again, DH calls me away, and I get back just in time to see Xena drop an egg. As soon as I'm able, I sneak in and snatch it and show it too DH. "it's still warm" he says. "of course it is, " I say, "she just pushed it out of her butt". [​IMG]

Now it's Lucy's turn. this is her first time, so we wait through the tedious process of finding the box that's just right. She is not happy with the amount of bedding either, but she comes out and tosses beakfuls of bedding onto her back and carries it back to her box of choice.

It's a 4 egg day so far, but the honey-do list is still on the table without a single check mark on it, and here I am typing on the computer about my fascinating, silly girls.

Does anyone ever get any housework done??

2. robbdebbie

robbdebbie Professional Chicken Bather

Jun 18, 2009
    Madisonville, LA
    Never. My house is a disaster, and I am still on here reading about chickens.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Just yesterday at work, someone said "Your house must be spotless." [​IMG]

Imp- I said "of course and you're not invited over"

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    NOPE! I got up at 6 am to let my girls out and the rest of the brady bunches-got my cup of java and perched on a cement block and watched them play , scratch etc... hour later after cleaning, their coops and chatting with them-went to church..ran errands -came home visitied the chickens -house hasnt been touched really :)

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I don't get stuff done either! [​IMG] I'm either watching the chickens, cleaning the coop, feeding them, giving them treats, watching over them while they free range a bit, or sitting here reading about chickens! It was really at it's worst when they were chicks and still in their brooder box. I lived in the garage at that time, in my chair next to their box! [​IMG] Couldn't tear myself away from those adorable fuzzbutts!

6. Chui Cat

Chui Cat Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2009
    Pittsboro
    WHEW! I'm so relieved it's not just me!

7. chickencoop31320

chickencoop31320 Have bator, will hatch

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Georgia
    My husband and I had no plans for doing anything today.
    I've had pnuemonia and he's been feeling crummy too.
    I woke up at 05:30 and knew I couldn't go back to sleep, I gathered up all the dirty laundry from the many rooms it has been piling up in. All as quietly as I could so as not to wake a soul.
    I sorted it and made coffee. I started washing the first load of about 12 (like I said I've been sick & laundry is my job! LOL). I turned the news on low and began surfing BYC while the washer did the work.
    It was 07:00 before I woke my husband up... I didn't mean to so much as I needed to use the bathroom and it's in our room. He got up and started helping with the clothes. It's now 13 hours later and we still have 2 loads left. LOL
    We've gotten a lot done and a lot of playing done too...
    I didn't ask the kids to do anything, but clean their rooms.
    A Sunday with no chores??? [​IMG]
    wooooo they have been out running wild all day.
    Even though we didn't "finnish" all of the laundry today, I feel good about the day's "work" [​IMG]

8. tdkmom

tdkmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Rural Valley, PA
    My son & I would live in the coop if we could make a place to lay down without being in the sand. If I am in the house, I'm standing at the kitchen window watching them and listening to them. I hate to clean my house but I'll spend 3 hours out there cleaning their house. Why? They just soothe me. They are so funny and when I walk into the coop they all come running to greet me. My husband never does that so I figure the chickens deserve more. [​IMG]

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Did you read my nickname "poultry snuggie" wonder how I got it? I took a nap in the coop! After I cleaned it and laid fresh awesome smelling pine bedding down all over-I sat down and fell asleep!!!

10. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I always have plans of things I want to do but noooooo, I'm here almost all day. That or out with my chickens. I have so much to do. They are preplacing all the water lines from the meter to our house and to the building in front of me and the neighbors house which is the owner of the property. The rest of this story will be in rants. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by