I hope chickens are more fun than guinea pigs....

helenbk1966

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 1, 2014
Hello. My name is Helen and I live in Maryland. We have 4 dogs, 2 guinea pigs, 1 cat, a ball python and what the check, why not chickens?

Ok, I have to admit we don't have our peepers yet. It took my husband almost 2 1/2 years to win me over to the idea of having chickens. I had all the silly misconceptions about them in my head. They are mean and nasty, noisy, smelly and stupid. Having read some of the more numerous stories, clearly some of them are a bit intellectually challenged. But hey, so are a lot of humans and we keep voting for them. I guess chickens deserve a chance.

Smelly seems to be more of a neglect issue than a trait of the species. Reason number 2 down the drain.

Roosters are the noise culprits and even I knew you can get eggs without one and some chickens are mean much like some people are jerks, and no one frowns upon breeding chickens for niceness. Hence there are ok.David of chickens that are KNOWN for being nice.
All my "rational" arguments against owning chickens have been defeated by research and education. Then I went to a poultry swap.

And held a newborn chick. NOW my heart is involved! They are so cute! And those little peep peep peep sounds are enough to rev up those mama instincts even if your human babies are not anywhere near babies anymore. Peep peep. Please love me.....

So now my last fear is.....what if they are just as boring as guinea pigs?

Guinea pigs are one of the greatest hoaxes ever perpetrated upon American pet lovers. They eat. They poop. They have no other behaviour. Except hiding. Which they do any time you approach the cage without food. No matter how much time you spend with them they do not care to be held or cuddled or played with. They eat. They poop.

So chicken people. Be honest. Are chickens more fun than guinea pigs? Ease my fear.

Fine Print:
All of the above is a tiny bit young in cheek. I hope no one is offended or thinks I am in dire need of mental health services. ( :) that may be true but not related to this post. )

images
to BYC!

NOOO.....chickens are just as fun and can be even more fun than the family dog! Don't get me wrong, I keep dogs and they are the love of my life. BUT...chickens are entertaining, they can be very affectionate, they have tons of personality and will get into your heart and refuse to leave. I had no idea chickens could offer so much love and fascination either. And had I known, I would have gotten into them decades ago. You will not regret it.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

LOL! Chickens are more fun than Guinea Pigs. They are pretty social, and if you raise them with a good deal of contact, they will interact with you quite a bit. I find the adults are as much fun as they were as chicks.

Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Another vote for chickens. Guinea Pigs are cute, but chickens are a lot more interesting.

Sour is absolutely right, no one ever makes guinea pig soup either - at least I hope not
sickbyc.gif

I had a guinea pig for about a day. My friend(?) gifted(dumped) one on me. Ny ex-boyfriend thought it was a chinchilla . She had it in a cardboard

Chickens are way more fun that that.

Back
Top Bottom