I hope I am not too late, took me forever to find a minute to take pictures for the Calendar Contest

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by miacaraitalia, Oct 11, 2012.

1. miacaraitalia

miacaraitalia Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In this photo, the little hen up front, any ideas of her breed?

Kind of a funny story. I have two bantam hens, did have a bantam rooster (predator [​IMG]) and one full size cochin hen who would have babies 24/7 if allowed.

Well, we also have two Royal Palm, teenage turkeys, Jake and Brighteyes who hang out with these tiny hens with no issues. About two weeks ago, we had two little babies hatch and I am not sure of the breed as I have yet to figure out what the kind of tan hen is. The others are all cochins for sure. Whatever she is, ....smart and loving bird. Thought it would be neat to show giant turkeys and little hens living in harmony! The turkeys are like having yard dogs! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Cool pics! They did close the submission thread for the calender on Monday.

Definitely save these photos on your computer in an accessible, well named file for next year. I especially like the first one even though that silly turkey in the middle seems to be distracted by something behind him.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Those are great pics! Love your birds! thanks for sharing.

4. miacaraitalia

miacaraitalia Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Thank you both, well Brighteyes, (from the Inheritance books ie., Eragon) is not so bright. She gets so lost but young jake will call, gobble recently and is utterly lost without her. So eventually it works out. The hens who are much older than these young teens just go along and don't bother Jake as he is a true eater for sure. I will try to get better shots but my NEW camera is slow and these birds, bantys inluded are so fast, they all fly and so forth, likely why they survive my yard. Long story but we are in a subdivision flanked by 400 acres (a blessing with animals). So imagine, its like my yard is KFC hawks included....lol

5. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Your hen is probably a dark brahma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by