I hope I made the right decision...

edible_chicken

Songster
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Ohio
This morning I got a call from my dad that our family dog (lady) had a seizure and it didn't look good. She couldn't walk and had laid in the same position for hours. He ask if I would take lady to the vet to be euthanized, since he had to leave for work. An hour later I stop over and his girlfriend was there caring for her. Lady didn't look good and I knew it was the right decision. My dad called asked if I would stop by the shop so he could see her one last time. When we got there, miraculously she stood up and looked out the car window. she knew where was. she actually followed me into the shop and she pitifully walked straight to my dad....you knew what she was thinking and she knew something about to happen. In the moments I was there, she regained her orientation and was improving......long story short she kept making progress while i was there and my dad kept saying she is doing it to make him doubt to euth her. well he ended up telling me to go forth with putting down lady. before i left, my wife stopped to see lady. lady just went absolutely crazy (she loves my wife). after seeing that my doubts started and i wanted to wait a few hours to see how she progresses.

I tell my dad I want to take her home and see how she does. if she has another seizure or anything, i would put her down. although my dad was hurt by my decision, but said it was okay. as you would figure, she continues to make progress. shes been outside, potty, even chased my chickens a few moments. now at time of writing this (8:42pm), she is happily laying next to me in my chair. she has eaten three big meals today and has been smiling and wagging her tail like nothing happened. (my dad said she hasn't eaten in day and half, and hasn't acted right at all)

The hard part is this. my brother and his wife are both veterinarians. They say we should have euthanized lady over a year ago. she has an enlarged heart and fluid building around it, and run risk of having a painful death with a heart attack/heart failure. so i tell my brother the situation and he gets very upset with me and called me selfish for not putting her down. i understand of her health issues and i know the risks she runs, but in all honesty, she always has been a high spirited dog, always loved to be with people and kids. even in the last few hours, she played with our cats and our chickens. i just simply don't know what to think or do. i believe i made the right decision, but i feel absolutely guilty about not putting her down. at the time, i felt i made the right decision.

edit* this also is the first occurrence of a seizure that we know of

Last edited:
Don't give up just yet. You always hear of the people who were told by their doctors they had a year to live and end up surviving another dozen.

From what you described I think you made the right decision. I don't know your dog's medical history but you mention heart disease, and I wonder if your pet is on any medications to treat her condition.

To be perfectly honest, I can't believe how insensitive your veterinarian brother was being. If he treated a client that way he wouldn't have much of business. Palliative care for non-human patients is becoming more routine as people are willing to do more for their pet. Veterinarians need to learn to be more empathic when dealing with a client who considers their pet more than 'just a pet'.

Some people are wiling to go the extra mile when it comes to keeping their pet alive, and as long as the pet can maintain a good quality of life, the veterinarian should be willing to help. There are medications that can help your dog be more comfortable. Blood-work can be done to rule out liver disease. Radiographs can be taken to note the changes in the chest. Some medications can be prescribed and purchased at the local drug stores where the price is drastically reduced. If the vet won't write a script the receptionist can call the prescription to the store of your choice.

Even if you can't afford a medical work-up on your dog, you can get medications to keep your dog comfortable. That way when the time does come to put her to sleep you'll feel you did everything within your ability.

she isn't on any medication, my dad couldn't afford them. I asked my brother if there would be anything that he could prescribed if she manages through this. he said for her age (15yrs) and condition, it would be advisable not to because they could further complicate things. he advised that i put her to sleep and said there is really nothing else i can do.

I realize this and i do trust my brother in his decision. i will do whatever keeps her comfortable and happy. if she regresses and displays she isn't happy, then i know it'll be the right time.

Thank you everyone for your input. it is helping a lot!

From a human perspective: DearFather had a few minor seizures before his final one. She likely had the first of many... or the first one anyone noticed. There is nothing wrong with waiting until a more permanent happening so long as she is happy. It is also very common for people near death to suddenly have a remission and seem perfectly normal before the end; I've also seen it with animals.
My advice... enjoy her but do not be surprised if this is the beginning of the end.

they'reHISchickens :

From a human perspective: DearFather had a few minor seizures before his final one. She likely had the first of many... or the first one anyone noticed. There is nothing wrong with waiting until a more permanent happening so long as she is happy. It is also very common for people near death to suddenly have a remission and seem perfectly normal before the end; I've also seen it with animals.
My advice... enjoy her but do not be surprised if this is the beginning of the end.

i totally realize this and i do believe this is what my brother wanted to get across to me....which i already knew this is the start of an end. i was more than convinced it was time when i picked her up. in all honesty, if it wasn't for my dad asking me to stop by, i would have taken her straight to the vet. if we keep her happy another week, i'm fine with that. i'm off the next four days and i am content spending the whole time with her. i grew up as a child with the dog, and spending a few days or so would be nice. i'll probably keep her until it is time to put her down. she seems happy here. the house i live in, is my childhood home and its where we all grew up in. so it is home to her as well.​

as long as she is happy and enjoying her time.. she deserves a chance at life. You did the right thing
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
. I think you made the right decision...even if it is the end..she will be content until the final decision is made..
I hope you have many more happy filled days with her!

Back
Top Bottom