I hope she isn't a he! (new to chickens)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cupman, May 5, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    So it's 4:30 AM and I heard something crash in the basement where my brooder is set up and thought oh dear, ran down there to make sure one hadn't flown out. Well, one hadn't flown out but I did notice one of my biggest chicks had started to develop a comb. It was only maybe a millimeter in length but I never noticed it before. How do I know if my girl is really a boy? I've heard hens will grow combs too, but will they grow them this early? Well all of them were fine, who knows what the crash was. I'll try to get pictures some time later today but I'm going to try to go back to sleep now.... even though now I have a boy to worry about. Thank you.

2. Souffle

Souffle Out Of The Brooder

It's kind of exciting to have a rooster in the bunch! I also have my suspicions about one of my five"hens". See my site for a photo of my flock of Plymouth Barred Rocks and Light Brahmas compare the combs with the other five and a half week old chicks. I'm too new to post a picture here for input, but from what I've read and seen on BYC forum, I probably have a rooster...I want to keep him although town ordinances and neighbors won't allow it. I'd love to have one batch of homegrown chicks.

What kind of chicks do you have? How old are they?

Soufflé

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Soufflé :

It's kind of exciting to have a rooster in the bunch! I also have my suspicions about one of my five"hens". See my site for a photo of my flock of Plymouth Barred Rocks and Light Brahmas compare the combs with the other five and a half week old chicks. I'm too new to post a picture here for input, but from what I've read and seen on BYC forum, I probably have a rooster...I want to keep him although town ordinances and neighbors won't allow it. I'd love to have one batch of homegrown chicks.

Soufflé

Your Iffy is definitely a cockerel. BR's are easy to tell compared to some breeds, you've probably noticed for some time how much lighter in color he is than the two pullets which would look black.​

4. Souffle

One reason I unknowingly chose him was because of his lighter color! Thank you for your confirmation.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I haven't seen the photo yet but just wanted to mention that my mom has a BR hen with what many here would call roo coloration. We've seen her lay, she's all hen. So, until it crows or if the comb reddens up much too soon for a pullet, I wouldn't call it.

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Soufflé :

Soufflé

Right now I have 2 bantam buff cochins and a silver penciled and 2 silkies that hatched March 10th. A welsummer and 2 white rocks hatched March 13th. 2 EE's and a SLW hatched around March 20th. 4 golden seabrights and 7 barred rock mixes that are 3 week old. 1 black bantam that is around 4 weeks old(got her from a teacher so not sure what she is or positive of age) and just got 2 brown leghorns and 2 delaware new hampshire crosses from work yesterday that hatched Monday. I also have 1 bearded belgian D'Anvers/cochin mix egg in the incubator 6 eggs hatching at the school and want some austra whites that are coming into work Friday. Is that enough?​

7. nikkimarie

nikkimarie Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2011
    I feel I might be in the same boat!! I have two buff orpington's that I was told were female. They are now just over 3 weeks old (born 4/11) and though they both sit pretty like I would assume a hen would, one has a comb coming in much quicker than the other. It is still pink, but appears to have some red coming in. I also noticed a little red spot under the beak this morning. I won't be able to keep a rooster here due to city ordinances. I am also too new to post a photo. Thoughts? Thank you!! Nikki

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  8. Souffle

:/Sheila,
    That's a lot of hens, I wouldn't worry if you've got one rooster. And yes, that's enough.[​IMG]

9. Souffle

Quote:I think you're right to give her more time before I call her a roo. Thank you for giving me some hope.

10. Souffle

Quote:While yours are still little, look inside their vents, not that I was able to do this myself, but I was told to look for a 'pimple' inside the vent if you suspect a rooster. The proof is in the pimple. Good luck![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by