I hope someone has experienced this and can help!

Cynthia12

Always Grateful
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Utah
I Have sniffly chickens. I have treated them. I have read everything, and I mean everything about upper respiratory in chickens. I have not taken one of them to the vet.
Here's the strange thing. They act perfectly normal! They eat like pigs. They run around and flap their wings and have fun. They dust bathe. The seem like nothing is wrong..but there are a couple worse than the others, and have a real snotty sounding noses. I have used Duramyacin for 7 days now. No change in anything. They are still happy chickens, just sound snotty. Sorry, but that's the best description.
Does anyone think this will eventually go away, at least the symptoms. I realize once they have an upper R..they can be carriers. They are pullets, just getting ready to lay. I also realize, no eating eggs for at least three weeks. What about eating the eggs if they are still sniffy, and haven't been on the anti-biotic for a while? Can you eat eggs from a bird that is sounding like that? Not sure I would want to, but sure am hoping there is a possibility that this cold like symptom is like humans and it just takes about three weeks or so to go away!

Anyone? Have this happen before, where a chicken is sick for a while, then symptoms go away? Then can eat eggs after???

Duyramicin is one of those antibiotics that no longer seem to have an effect of many respiratory diseases. You may want to get some Tylan, and give that a go. It is much stronger, and FINALLY knocked out the respriatory thing that was going around my flock.

Your birds MAY seem ok, but if another stressor is introduced (heat, cold, mites, etc) teh respiratory thing could easily kill your flock.

ETA: chickens do NOT get colds. It won't go away on its own, no matter how much we want it to.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you so much for responding..should I have them off the Duramycin for a bit before I start the Tylan? Thanks again! Oh, and how long did you treat with it?

The eggs will be safe to eat after the prescribed duramycin withdrawal period. Tylan is a very good antibiotic, but there will be eventual resistance to it as well. I recommend denegard, it is for swine but can be used in chickens. There is no withdrawal and no resistance to it. It can be purchased from QC Supply. Type "denegard" in the BYC search box and read up on it if you wish. I've read some very good things about it.

Quote:
Wow, there are some great articles about it..and great results. Thank you. I do believe this is the one I will try. We don't have a QC Supply, but a place called Wallco....and IFA...InterMountain Farmers of America
Going to check there tomorrow...

Ok, seeing that QC Supply is online..hope it doesn't take long to get here..thanks again! I keep reading more and more good about it.

6chickens in St. Charles :

Cedar chips, cedar siding, cedar anything can cause respiratory inflammation. Could there be something in the air they breathe that's causing them to react?

Hi 6Chickens...thank you for replying. I don't think it is from that. I was a dummy and brought in a chicken that a person said all of her flock was doing well>>>now. For quite a while she said. Then I get on here and do some learning as my chickens get sick. Carriers! Well, I hatch eggs, so will keep some of my own and not get inpatient when it comes to waiting for them to start laying. A few of mine are due to lay any time now. I'm excited about that. But now I have to worry about the eggs for a while. I was using the Duramycin. Maybe they won't lay until the time period is up.
smile.png
Thanks again!​

Back
Top Bottom