I hope these are Barred Rocks!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PoisonIvy, Jul 27, 2013.

1. PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    Livingston, Tennessee
    I got a cockerel & a pullet from a local guy today, and he said they were Barred Rocks (which is what I want) [​IMG]. Now that I've done more looking around on the interweb, I've learned that there are other "barred" breeds. So now I'm beginning to wonder. These aren't the best pictures, and I'm sorry about that. Also, how old do you think these birds might be? The guy I got them from seemed to think about 6 months.

This is what we were told is the cockerel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is what we were told is the pullet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help! [​IMG]

2. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Six months? I think they're both pullets. A roo at that age would have much more prominent comb and wattles. What do their tails look like?

But they do both look like BRs!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yup, those are Plymouth Rock - Barred chickens. That's the official name for what folks simply call Barred Rocks.

The Breed Plymouth Rock, the color Barred. There are Plymouth Rock Whites, as well.

Your cockerel looks pretty girly to me, at this age. If I could see tail feathers, or a side view of saddle feathers, then I could be more sure. The males also look "duller" (or maybe that's brighter?) because the black barring is more distinct in pullets, and the white between the bars usually is wider for cockerels.

Your pullet looks like a pullet.
    :)

4. PoisonIvy

Jul 7, 2013
    Livingston, Tennessee
    I don't have any pics of the tail feathers, I can post some tomorrow, but the one were were told is the cockerel is getting long tail feathers, while the one we were told is the pullet does not have the longish tail feathers.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  5. PoisonIvy

Jul 7, 2013
    Livingston, Tennessee
    Also, about their age...we noticed that the sounds they make are still very "chirpy". Could it be that they are younger than we were told? The guy I got them from wasn't 100% sure on age he said he *thought* they were around 3 mos. when he got them, and that was about 3 mos. ago, hence the guesstimate, and I can understand that as he LOTS of chickens, ducks & geese...I'd probably have a hard time remembering when birds hatched or were bought if I had as many as that guy did.

6. and-roo

and-roo Chillin' With My Peeps

X2 by now you would have heard the cockerel crowing or something, to me it looks like you have two barred rock pullets that will start laying soon.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think those birds look more like 4 months old. The second one looks like a pullet. The first one does not look like a pure barred rooster. The darker overall coloring is either a pullet or a roo with only one barred parent. That funky comb also looks like something straight combed maybe mated with something non-straight combed. A body shot can help but you might just need to wait a month or so and see how things work out. Even at 4 months I'd expect a roo to have a lot more comb.

8. PoisonIvy

Jul 7, 2013
    Livingston, Tennessee
    Here's another picture of the "cockerel"...and my husband! Not the best picture, but it's another view of the bird. It moved it's head right as the shot took, but you can see his rear markings....I'll take & post more & better pictures tomorrow!

[​IMG]

9. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
  10. PoisonIvy

Jul 7, 2013
    Livingston, Tennessee
    I have some (somewhat) better pictures of the "cockerel" today:
    The pics are sort of dark because I was in their pen which is covered by a blue tarp

Tail feathers:
    [​IMG]

Head shot (yes I'm wearing pajama pants [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

Laying down
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Standing
    [​IMG]

I wish I could get better pics, but chickens don't always cooperate!

So, what do y'all think? Is my "cockerel" really a pullet? And after looking at other people's pictures, I really do not think they're 6 months old, probably more like 3 to 4. The noises they both make are still very chirpy & chick-like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by