I hope this beauty is a girl

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lil'ChickFarm, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    This baby is 7 weeks old. She is never agressive in play and is quite sweet. She has more feathers then her two sibs. Her comb is smaller then her two sibs and feet not as chunky. I think those two are probably roos and this one is a girl. What do you think?
    What else do you look for?
    Thanks,

Also can someone please tell me the identifying factors in a roo? I see so many people confidently telling others that their baby is a roo, but I would like to know all the signs to look for. Thanks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. BovieVei

BovieVei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Walnut Creek, CA
    That looks like a girlie to me!

By the way, gorgeous chicken & photography!

3. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    It looks like a girl but not for sure. SOO pretty!! I want!! lol

4. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    OH! And identifications of a roo- (that I know of) Thick legs, saddle feathers, and roos grow combs faster and bigger than the girls do.

5. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Pullet! [​IMG]

You can tell if it's a roo by looking at the saddle feathers, reddness of comb, largeness of comb, thick legs, long/big spurs, also hens tend to feather earlier than boys. So at about week 5 if they have little tail feathers it could possibly be a girl. Roo's also tend to be larger when younger depending on the breed.

6. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Do you have a better picture of the comb? It looks like it might be a pea comb with 3 ridges, which would mean boy.

7. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    If I would have to take a guess on this chick I would say roo too, at 7 weeks it comb looks to have a little too much red in, a hens comb will only begin to red up just before she is due to come into lay before that it is pale pink, also colouration with certain breeds is sometimes the key, it does appear to have roo colouration with the red shoulders coming in, although this might not apply to every breed, the legs look fairly chunky to me and the stance is quite lanky looking lol! again at this age these are all the things I look for to determine gender, it is still rather young and the sickle and hackle feathers on roos don't begin to show until the bird is around 3-4 months so there won't be any yet to look for beautiful looking bird none the less!

8. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh dear, you are divided. I will take close up comb pictures today.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  9. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    7 weeks old? Boy, for sure. Sorry. Way to red for a pullet at that age. [​IMG]

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    7 weeks old? That is a roo, because of the comb color, more developed, vivid colors particuarly his wing bars patterns which pullets do not have, and pointed neck feathers. Looked like someone has been cutting the wing feathers, probably keeping him from flying over the fence but those are the wrong wing feathers to cut LOL!

I say it IS a roo. Sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by