I hope y'all understand all my questions! And have some insight...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckMomma6, Aug 29, 2013.

1. DuckMomma6

DuckMomma6 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    I really appreciate any and all help AND hope that someday I will know enough to contribute to this wonderful community of duck lovers!

I have another duck with some issues :(
    It is Daffy, my black runner duck. Yesterday I noticed he wasn't himself - usually when I walk up to the coop, he will meet me and peck at my hand. But he was stand-offish. When we got him out of his coop with the others... He was following behind and even at times standing alone just staring into nothing. This is completely not like him! He is usually the leader making sure to keep the others in line and be top drake... He will usually go right to trying to mount one of the girls (they just started all this about a couple weeks ago or so) and since yesterday he has shown no interest in the girls. I noticed today that when he uses the bathroom - this is hard to explain but I will try - he kind of seems to keep going but nothing comes out...and he moves his upper body forward and backward kind of swaying - like his tummy is contracting and his body is moving with it.. So I called the vet and she said to watch him over the weekend and call on Tuesday with an update. Well I went back out there and he went potty and his male part came out some... And now every time he goes that seems to happen... I called the vet back but she will not be in until Tuesday....... She is the only vet around that will see ducks. He is drinking a lot and seems to be eating some - foraging and wanted a treat (tomatoes) when I took some out but wouldn't fight the others for it so gave up and walked off by himself to the pool :( I tried distracting the others and giving him some but he was too slow about it and the others are too fast....

Any experience with something like this???

2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Sounds like it might be a prolapse. :( Usually when I read about those its with female ducks tho. Have you tried to get him into a warm bath for a closer inspection?

3. DuckMomma6

Aug 11, 2013
    No... I didn't know a warm bath was safe but I had a feeling that would be soothing... Will he get overheated?

4. Learningstill

Learningstill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
  5. DuckMomma6

Aug 11, 2013
    We just put the ducks up for the night and I was able to get a better look... It is not going all the way back in - and I'm not sure what it is supposed to look like, but it looks swollen to me :( I really feel for him because I think he is in pain.

6. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    A warmish bath shouldn't hurt him, just not too warm! I just aim for a bit warmer than my house. I hope your duck gets better.

7. DuckMomma6

Aug 11, 2013
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Believe it or not my mini dachshund had a prolapse, don't know what happened because he is neutered so no mating but it would not go back in and was swollen so I took him to the sink and put him in cold water I think the cold water helped to shrink it enough so that it did go back inside, Then I used Veterycin spray and kept it sprayed for a couple of days. I think a bath would help a lot just keep the water tepid and not too warm. also you might try some Vaseline too see if this would help with swelling that was next to do with my dachshund if the cold water hadn't worked.

9. DuckMomma6

Aug 11, 2013
    Well we took Daffy to the vet. He said that the cause could be an over-active sex drive. Which describes Daffy. So, he has to be separated from the others for awhile and the doctor said to put preparation H on it 2-3 times a day. He said it doesn't look infected so that is good - but watch for signs of infection and keep him updated on his progress. He said it could be something that continues but as long as it doesn't get infected, he will be fine. If it stops to get necrotic tissue - we will have to cut that part off.. So I am hoping this ointment works.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well thank goodness it's not infected an most say on BYC they need to be away from the girls for at least 3 months. poor Daffy looks like with fall and winter coming he'll have a good while to heal which will be good for him in the long run but he won't think so. I hope the PH works too, and yep sometimes they just get too carried away with the program for their own good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by