I Hung a Cabbage &.....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CK Chickadilly, Nov 30, 2008.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    they don't like it!

Seems like everyone elses chickens love their cabbage.....what the heck is wrong with mine? [​IMG]

Should I take it down & chop it up & put it in a suet basket? GRRRR!!! Crazy chooks!

2. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    sometimes it just seems to take them a couple tries to get used to things. such creatures of habit. They can be scared by almost anything new, but maybe in a day or two?

3. Bleenstar

Bleenstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Southern California
    I did the same thing, chickens totally ignored it and dogs ripped it down and tore it apart lol! so much for keeping the chicken busy

4. cyrixlord

cyrixlord Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Monroe, wa
    try collard greens [​IMG] i give mine everyday to my chickens, and they have a blast with it.

or apple halves. especially during winter

yum!

5. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    Mine don't like lettuce or cabbage. I'm going to try apples today.[​IMG]

6. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I will let it hang for a couple of days, maybe they will check it out tomorrow. They will be definately bored tomorrow since we are getting another blizzard! [​IMG]

Mine have had apples but I have to dice them up finely or they won't eat them. GRRRR....spoiled chooks! [​IMG]

I guess the cabbage just doesn't compare with the PB&J sandwich I made & put in a suet feeder! [​IMG] They LOVE that!!!!!

7. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    I just tied up a ham bone with some twine to hang in the coop. I think it will be a bit messy in there in the morning but I didn't want to make soup. lol

8. Riparian

Riparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    My chickens destroy cabbage. They love it.

9. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy :

I just tied up a ham bone with some twine to hang in the coop. I think it will be a bit messy in there in the morning but I didn't want to make soup. lol

isnt ham bad for them cause of the salt????​

10. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    Ours were terrified of the lettuce we tied up the first time, but by the next day they had absolutely destroyed it! Same for when we put the cabbage up next time...They also seemed to like whole apples tied to the roof / fastened to a wall of the coop. I think they liked the crunching sound when they pecked more than the actual taste [​IMG]

Spaghetti strands tied so they dangle down are funny, too, watching all the chickens jump for them and chase these wriggling strands of spaghetti [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by