I inherited my sister in laws obsession

Before anyone asks... I have 9 birds (rooster included)
I would say you are over populated now.
Where are you located? Does it snow where you live?
Another reason you want a good sized secure run is for when you have a predator that has found your flock and is slowly picking them off and they need to be secured for a long time until the predator moves on. I don't agree with the 10 sq ft per bird guideline for runs. I think it is too small.

I got my sister in laws coop when she moved. It's 5x6 ft (hen house) has a run attached (haven't measured that yet) but I free range them so they only ever use it when it rains. I was wondering what is my chicken limit? Internet says 12-15 but I wanted to be sure.
It depends on how they use the coop and the ventilation, as well as your location. If all they do is sleep in there and it’s got good ventilation you’re at your limit now for square footage per bird suggestions. That being said, I’ve had more than the suggested limit in my coop with no issues, However, it has more than enough ventilation, it required more cleaning than usual, and all my chickens do in there is roost. Some hang out in there when it rains, but I have lots of places with solid cover for my flock throughout my yard so they’re not all together all the time. . We don’t get snow here though. I don’t have a run, I like to see my chickens in the yard and they enjoy being able to roam. The run is a personal choice in my opinion; if you don’t use one there’s always the potential for loss. It’s worth it to me, I’d rather see my crew out and about than locked in a cage. If you decided not to use the run and just free range you can always add more coop space by modifying it.

Last edited:
What breed are your chickens? If they are smaller or bantam you may be able to fit a couple more. If they are standard/large fowl you are already pushing max space recommended size. If you definitely want more, I would suggest converting a shed. 8x8 would give you ample room for 16. Run space is easy to add with a hoop tunnel.

We are in the nw area so it's mostly rain maybe snow for every blue moon (at most a few days of it that add up to like a couple weeks all year round). I'm considering upgrading the run into more hen house, it's still a work in progress tho. She built it as a noob chicken tender so it's missing a proper roost (my dad and I are building a roost ladder this weekend)

As a temporary set up I had 2 sticks set up in here but one fell and injured a hen so I'm trying to set up better roosting place
20230114_091330.jpg

20230114_091101.jpg

This was my first attempt as you can see. They completely ignored it. Hoping with an actual lower step they will be more willing to use it and I'll be able to get rid of the outer roost.

Back
Top Bottom