I it harmful or beneficial to remove the picked-on hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spatulagirl, Feb 23, 2011.

1. spatulagirl

spatulagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    I have a hen that is part of my original group. She has been picked at by the rest of the hen the past week and now almost has no feathers left. Her neck and head are bare and now her underside and tail feather are going too. I can't figure out if it is one hen or all of them abusing her. They have been cooped up in the coop and run due to weather and some neighbourhood dogs that killed half my flock.

I am putting vinegar in the water, have a cabbage hanging on a string in the run and give them scratch but it is getting worse, not better. I am thinking I should remove her so she can heal but won't that make her position in the pecking order worse? She hasn't laid in two weeks either.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. Chicken Hugger!

Chicken Hugger! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    I would remove her. I had a chicken that was getting picked on and I thought the same thing but later regreted it. She had a bad head wound and now is in her own pen with another of my misfits and they are best buddies

3. spatulagirl

spatulagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    I moved her to a kennel next to the coop. I am afraid they are going to kill her. Even her legs are missing feather now so, you are right, this is the only solution.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by