I jst got the babies today and the light one isnt very active and is just... there I just wanna know

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickenjohn6910, Aug 3, 2014.

1. chickenjohn6910

chickenjohn6910 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    California
    [​IMG]

2. chickenjohn6910

May 31, 2014
    California
    Also she just sleeps so much and doesn't move often for how long she's been here

3. Ugadano

Ugadano Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2014
    SW Oklahoma
    Are you talking about the 2 smallest? Have you made sure it knows how/where to drink? If they are dehydrated they are weak. Might feed it some cooked egg yolk if it's had water, just a bit the size of a couple of lentils, see if it perks up any.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Ugadano has given you some good advice. Also put some marbles or something shiny in the chicks' water. It will induce her to peck at it and lead her into drinking. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chick.

5. chickenjohn6910

May 31, 2014
    California
    Thank you guys so much but yeah the two little babies are the ones I was talking about and thanks I'll be sure to try the boiled egg yolk but they do know where everything is

6. chickenjohn6910

May 31, 2014
    California
    Also I accidentally bought Mash for big chicks and I couldn't return it but is it okay that I give them and the babies that or should I go out and get some chick starter non medicated

7. chickenjohn6910

May 31, 2014
    California
    [​IMG]

It's ground up fine enough for them to eat I know that but is more beneficial to feed them starter? And which would be better medicated or non medicated? I've heard non medicated is way better

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If your chicks have not been vaccinated against coccidiosis, I would give them medicated chick starter. You will get arguments both for and against it, but as you can see from the thread on this subject at https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/619946/chick-starter-medicated-or-not, most BYC members would agree with me in using it. There are a couple of good articles on it at http://www.urbanfarmonline.com/urba...hatching-medicated-chicken-starter-feeds.aspx and http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyar...edicated-feed-all-about-do-I-need-it-H74.aspx.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ugadano

Ugadano Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2014
    SW Oklahoma
    I chose not to use medicated starter for mine the last couple of years of pullet starting, as I was hoping to have near-organic free range hens, with no antibiotic if possible. If that's not an issue for you, then you could get the medicated feed. Be sure to supply some source of probiotics as well, as the antibiotic depletes both good and bad bacteria. Depending on the hatchery where your chicks come from and if it is disease-free or not, would make a difference to whether you want antibiotics or not. I don't know the symptoms of coccidiosis or pullorum or anything else.
    Might get a Vitamin D3 capsule, prick with pin and mix some with a bit of the yolk and try to get the chick to take some. It's usually in oil and you don't want it to get in the nose I'd imagine, so mix a bit with the egg. Might separate the chick and keep warm especially if the others step on her in the box. If you've seen her drink, great, make sure she does it occasionally, and if not, try to get her to drink. She should follow your finger or the other birds example dipping, but if not try barely dipping her beak in, or get her to peck a drip off your finger. Anything. Maybe a drop of honey with a bottlecap of water for a little pickup. Try getting her in the sunlight for a while too. My old neighbor used to have me mix black pepper with egg yolk to feed the babies, but not the first day or 2, and I don't know what other experienced folk would tell you about that! I only know what she did! I tried it once and it sure didn't seem to hurt them. She used to say it would liven them up or give them 'vitalicky' (but she also had some old wives tales ;-) ). Hope all is well with your chicks! God bless!

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] You got some good advice and reading here. Good luck with your chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by