I just amputated my chickens wing today...

franklin555

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 4, 2011
So, last night, during the Tropical storm, one of my chickens had it's wing broken. The only thing holding the wing on was a piece of tendon. We separated the chicken from the it's brothers and sisters (they are all only a month old), and put the tube part of a tube sock over it.

Today, my logical side crept up.

"I can't set that bone, I don't have the money to take it to a vet, and I'm not going to euthanize it."

Turning to the backyard chicken forum, I ran across a few different opinions and a few folks with a similar issue. I ran across the simple answer to amputate.

And amputate I did. Not with any joy or excite, but to remove what would have become an infected, useless apendage. As well, to clear away as much as I could from the larger, bleeding wound so as to disinfect and clean up.

With a sterilized pair of extra sharp scissors, I used a little sexual desensitizing lube I own to numb the area, and in one quick cut, severed the left wing.

It started bleeding and so I took a handful of baking flour and put it over the bleeding spot. After the bleeding slowed, I ran the bird under water to get off the flour and then dried it with a clean paper towel.

Then I put some hydrogen peroxide on the whole area and let that disinfect the area. Once that was down, I looked for a little styptic powder that came with my dog's toenail clipper (to stop any little bleeding) to no avail. From there, I
coated the area with a little no-name Neosporin and patched the wound with sterile gauze and medical tape. Then I placed a brand new piece of tube from a tube sock over that. The bird is alert, awake, drinking water, eating food now.

I crushed up a little aspirin and put it in the water. In about a week, I will procure some colloidal silver and put it in it's mouth to kill any internal infection.

The way I see it, is that it will now live a long life with only one wing, and it will be easy to identify and give extra loving to, as opposed to doing nothing and letting it die slowly from infection. Remember, I have no money to spend on any form of veterinary work.

You do what you have to do. I would probably do the same thing in your shoes. If you have pics of post surgery, wound closure and such, I'm sure they will be helpful to others in the future.

Sounds like every thing went all right! Its always tough to try to make the right decision!
D.gif

It did go alright. She's been hopping around. I've still got her sequestered from the other chickens. She's been hopping around and is very lively. She is eating, drinking and pooping. As soon as I had some extra time, I stopped by Whole Foods and bought some colloidal silver for her to kill any internal infection she might be fighting.

I don't have any pictures, but I will keep you updated.

Wow ! That certainly showed a lot of courage and really compassion. Sounds like you really care for your pets good job. They're lucky to have you ! I would have done the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom