I just bidded on some silkie eggs! :) *update*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lowcountrypoultry, Nov 2, 2008.

1. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I was just on Ebay looking around, and saw some silkie eggs. I told myself NO MORE HATCHING, but after seeing them last night at the fair, I just had to bid on some.

There nothing special, there going to be from a mixed flock, but you gotta start somewhere [​IMG]

Anything I need to know about these guys? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Yes--they need to be penned separately as they often get picked on and can't defend themselves that easily. They also don't free-range well because they can't see well with their fluff, so they're an easy target for predators! Other than that, they are amazing birds!!! [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    One thing [email protected]@2four forgot to mention was how evil these little things are!! They will just steal your heart, and you won't be able to have any other type! I am still in love with my OEGB and Dutch bantams, but my 4 year old DS says the 'feather chickens' are his favorite!!

4. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    Another thing they forgot to mention is that they make great broodies and you will have MORE and MORE chickens!!

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I love my silkies. 5 toed, black skin chickens. Whats not to like?

6. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    You're gonna love them! Such sweet birds. And mine free range with all of my other birds. They all get along fine.......Maybe I am just lucky.........I trim mine so that they can see, so maybe that helps. Anyway, good luck with your bidding!

Paula

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Mine are still young, but they free range all the time as well. They have come to learn to hide when the guineas start screaming, and they usually hang out around the porch or the cars. This is good for their safety, but terrible for their feathers!! They are supposed to be white, but they have some pretty brown looking crud on their backs!! Since they are still young, they don't have any fluff to hinder their vision yet.

8. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah [​IMG]

I'm SO excited, I saw them at the fair and I had never seen one in real life before... I was hoping it was still for sale, but it was already sold [​IMG]

I don't know much about silkies, but are ALL silkies bantams?

Or do they have standards too.

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm not 100% on this, but I believe they are all the same size, which is bigger than bantam, yet smaller than standard. I think some people call them bantam and some don't. Yet I could be completely wrong on this!

10. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Yes, all Silkies are bantams.

Paula

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by