I just bought 16 chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CapeCodRobbin, Oct 13, 2015.

1. CapeCodRobbin

CapeCodRobbin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2015
    I would like to know if anyone can help identify them. I bought them on sale and the company said it could be any one of the ones they carry. I received 5 buff colored, 6 white colored, 5 black colored.. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TrialandError

TrialandError Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    SW Florida
    The black ones barred rocks maybe?

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Which hatchery did you order from? Knowing this will help us to narrow the list of possibilities by reviewing their catalog. There are several possibilities based just on these photos. Did you order sexed chicks or straight run? The black with white head dots are a barred bird -which could be any one of the barred varieties *or* black sex link males.

4. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    This should be fun lol.... We can cross of any feather footed breeds, so that only leaves 100 other breeds :D

Too young to tell yet, I would say... They could really be ANYTHING until they start to feather out... But hey, I'm all for a fun guessing game ;)

Exit* looks like they all have either yellow, or pink legs... That helps!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  5. Chookenthusiast

Chookenthusiast New Egg

Sep 11, 2015
    British Columbia
    The buff ones maybe Golden Sex Link??....But could also be many other things.......It is pretty hard to tell until they are older. They are pretty darn cute though! [​IMG]

6. CapeCodRobbin

Oct 13, 2015
    I bought them from Mcmurray's and they are a straight run... thanks for helping

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Which of their bargain assortments did you order? There are several different ones and that can help to further narrow possible breeds to consider.

8. CapeCodRobbin

Oct 13, 2015
    I called and asked them, and they said they could be from any chicken breed they have.

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm guessing you have some barred rock. Look at the black ones. The ones with the distinct white head spots should be little roos! Possibly RIR, or red sex link. ? leghorn or white rock. Go to their web site. They show pics of all the chicks they offer. I'm guessing that you have at least 60% roos, if not higher. Post back when you get that figured out, and let us know!!!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  10. CapeCodRobbin

Oct 13, 2015
    I am thrilled at seeing them grow and change everyday! They are a week old now and I took pictures of each one thanks for everyone's help... I will share them as they get older and get more feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by