I just bought 20 Cornish Cross

Redfeathers

Songster
12 Years
Oct 11, 2007
Gervais OR
Wish me luck on this latest adventure. I bought twenty with the hopes that they all live to a ripe old age of 8 weeks. Any advice is welcomed. I have them on chick starter and already made the appointment at Harringtons for processing. They all are eating and drinking well and acting like normal chicks. I'm wondering how long they need the heat lamp on them. They are in my barn in a kennel for now, we are building them an outside enclosure in the garden so they can poop all they want. I was just wondering how long until I can move them out there. They will be protected from wind and rain, but at what age are they safe from getting chilled?

Quote:
Gervis huh :eek:) well with the weather around here this year maybe
taking them to bed with you would be the best! :eek:)

I'm thinking, when they feathe out they should be fine inside. Ya don't
want them to have to much room so they walk off all that meat!

We are having such terrible weather right now. I actually lost a gosling on Sunday during one of the hail showers. It really depends on the weather. In the Summer I can get them on grass in as little as 3 weeks. I wouldn't dare to do that now. You need the nightime temperature to not drop below 45 degrees. If you do put them out, they need a heat lamp untilt he nightime temperatures stabilize.

As you will notice, they feather very poorly and do very badly in fluctuating temperatures. Windchill is also a killer.

I have brought many birds through Harrington's. They will do a good job for you. Not that you have any options.

4-5 weeks they should be fine outside if it's doesn't get tooo cold. They generate alot of heat. Mine are 5 weeks old and they hang out in a run when it's 40-50 out. however, they do go back inside at night to sleep under a 100 W bulb still.

Quote:
WOW I have been over ridden by, NOT, one but Two mods ;o

better go wif dem
wink.png

I know, this weather has me concerned about my success with this. I just didn't want to wait until it became warmer though. I wanted to do this right at this time of the year, but with this aweful wind and hail we have plus the torrents of rain, it's impossible to get anything done outside and I worry about my chickens that are always being wind blown or rained on. (layer flock)

Anyway, for now the Cornish are warm and in a very low draft environment.

I'm glad you had good luck with Harringtons, they were very nice on the phone.

Not a mod but I got mine as chicks April 3rd they were picked up by a friend on the second so probably hatched the 30-1st sometime, I am going by the 1st. So mine are JUST over 3 weeks old, they were getting to big for my brooder and I didn't want them to be cramped in a small brooder and stunt there growth so I moved them outside, where they have a yard and also a heat lamp. I have 4 other chicks with them that are there size. I do not give them free choice food, so when I go to feed in the AM they dodge out the door of there house and start jumping at me like piranha's! ROFL my other chicks (bantams, frizzled silkie frizzles and silkies) just sit back and watch you can read them, they are thinking WTH is the big idea! They wait for the crowed to leave the food then go eat its to funny.
Good luck with yours!!

Quote:
She always calls you "hun".

I sell at a Farmer's Market, so my birds must be done at a State Inspected facility. Now, I am in Washington and there are like 3 places in teh whole state which would even do my birds (500 mile round trips easily, too). My food safety inspector said that a state inspected facility in Oregon would be allowed, too, as long as I do no additional processing on them (like I can't label them, rebag them or freeze them).

So Harringtons is only a 3 hours drive roundtrip and I have to put that into my pricing.

I know everyone is always super eager to do their first crop of meat chickens in the Summer. But, if you are only doing one crop, I stronly encourage you to not get them until well into June. They will gain better during the warm summer months (less energy to staying warm), you don't have to worry about them dieing and of course cocci is less likely to affect them if they get it. But, I know, everyone's always super eager. But if you're doing only the one crop, why not do it under ideal conditions for your climate?
smile.png

Quote:
Everything I've read on this forum has told me to do this during cooler months...so I went with what was taught here...
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom