1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just bought DE- doesnt say food grade, is it ok

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kristip, Aug 1, 2011.

1. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    I just bought some DE at Farm and Fleet. it does not say food grade on it. Is it ok to use in the coop with the girls?
    thanks

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    If it doesn't say food grade on it, I wouldn't feed it. If you haven't opened it, perhaps you can return it?

3. tarragon

tarragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Bothell, WA
    I wouldn't. Mine specifically says food grade, and non food grade has added ingredients that can harm the birds, from what I've read. Can you return it?

4. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    where do you get food grade?

5. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    going to get some food grade this afternoon at the farm coop, my cat has a gut bug and I have dosed him twice with Flagyl... just noticed he is sickly looking again this morning, gonna put it in his water all the time to see if that helps.....

6. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    The bag MUST say FOOD CHEMICAL CODEX GRADE. If it does not, it is not safe for animal use.

Call around to local feed mills, not huge chain stores. Some use food grade DE in animal feed, since it is great at pest control (no more than 2% is used in a feed mix). I know my local mill uses it, but doesn't stock it for customers. But if I ask and pay in advance, they'll order an extra bag in the next shipment for me. $14 for 40lb, which is great. Some people pay more than $50 because they order online and have to have it shipped, which is ridiculous!

7. ChickiKat

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Quote:$14 for 40# is a good price, the Coop wants $24 for 50#....

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:putting it in water isn't going to work too well, it really only works when it's dry. [​IMG]

9. crookedcreekranch

crookedcreekranch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2010
    I had trouble finding it as well. Someone told me to get Sweet PDZ. It is advertised for horse stalls but is fine for chickens as well. You can check out their website and it says OK for chickens. Almost any farm/feed store has it. I have been using it for about 3 months now. Has really cut down on the flies.

10. ChickiKat

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Quote:putting it in water isn't going to work too well, it really only works when it's dry. [​IMG]

I know it needs to be dry to deter plants bugs, I thought I had read that you could put it in water.... okay, so how should I does my cat if he eats dry food, will he get enough if I add to his kibbles??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by