I just broke my work laptop........ Me = Dead Meat

CrazyAnimalGirl

Songster
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
West of Atl, Ga
Oh kill me!! I cracked the screen of my work laptop. My computer was on the bed and I was trying to get off my bed when the dogs were rough housing, well my big dog ran into me and I actually stepped on the screen. I just opened it to check my emails and 1/3 of it is black and all screwed up. I haven't even had it for a year.

Plus i've been trying to straighten out this awful project where these inspectors are not doing their work (placing signs for at homes for auctions) so it looks like i'm just a big screw up. I dont know what i'm going to do. They are going to kill me!
he.gif

first, i would ask if they are under warranty for accidents. seems to me a company would take that sort of insurance out.

Secondly, i would also look up how much a new screen costs. they are simple to replace, ... ive done it a few times.

you can even get the part number from the company or by researching and buy it off of ebay..

good luck!

p.s. what type of laptop is it?

Oh, such a bummer. I know how you feel. I accidentally spilled applesauce in my keyboard at lunch....could NOT clean that out. Sticky keys......had to have a new keyboard. Stuff happens. Just tell them what happened and I'm sure everything will be OK.

Quote:
actually electronics are amazingly water resistant.

My student spilled Mt. Dew in my laptop- I powered down took out the battery and unplugged it (unplugged first...PD second...) and I washed it with purified water (filtered) and let it dry for three days hooked everything back up and despite 11 oz of corrosive acidic bubbly liquid getting all the way through the laptop (leaked out of the open battery compartment at the contacts) the only thing that needed replacing was the keyboard.

still works to this day.

Its an HP 6530 b
I dont even want to think about how new it is. First they gave me a computer from the ice age and they finally replaced it with this brand spanking new HP. I looked at what you have to do and most people say it costs more than the computer itself to buy a new screen. I dont know if they cover stupid accidents like this though.

What sucks even more is that my boss is my brother in law, he's just going to looooooove this. Man, i'm never going to hear the end of it. They arent going to trust me with anything new again....

I'm always messing things up!!!

hit.gif

p.s.- I work at home so I have this computer stuck to my hip

I used to work for a mining company in the offices and we checked out work laptops all the time, our company has them insured, so I would think your company might as well, I would inquire on that. I took one of the lap tops in its case and was running late for the company bus and I didn't realize it wasn't zipped up. lets just say the lap top didn't make it!!! not even a month later I was mopping the floor after spilling my pop and knocked another lap top off my work desk, that one didn't make it either. A week after that a van pulled up in front of my office (mining company = trailers for offices), it was tech support and wired the whole office for a desktop. The guy said he heard I was accident prone!!!! I was also made to take a second safety course online. I think my boss was trying to be funny cause they also left me a hard hat with a sticker that said "are you covered?"

Anyhow if you are really worried your bosses won't be very sympathetic to your laptop accident just replace the screen, head for the nearest computer store and either have them replace it or see if you can do it yourself or a friend even...good luck!!!

At least that made me laugh! You do sound a lot like me (bull in a china cabinet) but I dont have the money to get it replaced so I have to just man up and tell the truth. I have like 3 computers here that are all the company's. My first ice age computer, another to use when the ice age computer was dying, and this one (plus my personal) so I know I wouldnt not be able to work, just not well.

Maybe they will get me a Toughbook....

Quote:
that used to be true. Since this is an hp im sure its not a $300 laptop.

Here is one(without part numbers. if you could research those and find compatible ones you could get one super cheap on ebay like i said)

for 85 bucks http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZXZMQ6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002LCAFHI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=18F61463B33R6YE0MKZR

here
is a possible list of parts that may fit your pc. i dont have specific information on what your configuration consists of, but.. to get your juices flowing:( look under the display category) http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?type=PROD&SearchText=AP965US

those
are just hp parts. im positive there are som samsung that are compatible( there was in mine)

Thanks for the info, i'm going to tell my boss/ brother in law today(or maybe sun and not ruin his weekend) and figure it out from there.

I decided to face it and got back on my work computer so I could actually do some work lol. Well the speaker might be messed up somehow, it sounds kinda muffled when it gets loud. I think it got a lil bit of my foot too. Who knows. They are going to think I actually threw it across the room or gave myself a concussion like I said I was going to do this week!

I'm currently having to make everything on my screen fit the top 1/3 but more like half, horizontal. It's pretty sad but i'm makin it work!

Back
Top Bottom