I just candled my eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ccrecelius, Aug 2, 2008.

1. ccrecelius

ccrecelius Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    These eggs were given to me after they had set out up to 14 days. These are my first eggs to try and hatch in my home-made incubator. I tried to candle them today, day 5. They are brown eggs and I do not know if my LED mini Maglite is a good enough candler source. But it looked like about half of the eggs are half full of something dark. What do you think? [​IMG]

2. R3Rugrats

R3Rugrats Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2008
    Maine
    Sounds like they're good. Set them back in and let them go the rest of the way. Brown eggs, I find are hard to candle and see much. Good luck and let us know what happens. [​IMG]

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Brown eggs are hard to candle. I use a small led light and it works ok. If its real dark inside then thats real good. Good luck with the hatch.

4. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    so, half of the egg being dark inside is good [​IMG]

I have no idea what I am doing BTW!!!

5. candyd

candyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Corinth, NY
    Good Luck with your hatch. I hope you get many pips [​IMG]

6. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    Quote:Thank you very much. Surprisingly this is a little scary!

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Yes, it is good if half the egg is dark.... it means there is a chicky growing inside, when you candle again when its near day 21 the whole egg should be dark !!!!

8. wraith2626

wraith2626 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2007
    With my brown eggs I found that two light sources helped me. I had a homemade candler I would sit the egg on top off and a very bright LED flashlight I would have best success with from the end not on the candler. I would move the LED light around finding the best view to see what I needed to see. I had your problem though up until about day 10 or so. They just looked half full of dark matter.

Wait until you are looking at that and straining to see something at all, and then the dark fluid inside moves and an eyeball is clearly pressed on the side. [​IMG]

My kids loved that - they wanted to candle every hour to see the magic eyeball!

Try two lights...both bright (watch the heat generated though) and see if that helps with the darker eggs.

Good luck.

9. ccrecelius

Jul 1, 2008
    French Lick, Indiana
    Thank you all so much! I know that I sound like a kid, but this is exciting and scary! Now, I know what all of the hype is about. [​IMG]

10. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    gooooooooooooooooooooooood luck:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by