I just candled the new batch..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cara, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    and it was my first time candling, but I definitely saw life in 11 out of the 18 eggs. The rest looked clear, apart from one that was too thick to see through, and another that seemed to have a big shadow inside. I left them all in there just in case. 9 are Blue Orpingtons, one is a bantam Sultan and one is a blue/black ameraucana. One batch of them spent a week in the mail, and then sat for 5 days, so i'm very pleased. The egg from my bantam Sultans is exciting because they hardly ever lay. Knowing my luck it will be a rooster though.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hi Cara, how many of the six Blue Orps I sent you seem viable right now? And I only sent the one Ameraucana as your "bonus" egg, LOL, right? Or was I wrong about what I sent? My brain is mush, sorry!

3. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I only have 6 of mine that made it to the last candling. How did your do from Catalupa?

4. speckledhen

Christina, were yours from Catalpa, too?

5. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Halfway through candling I knew I should have kept track of what came from where! I numbered them so I could record what I had seen movement in and what looked clear.

Looking at them again, the Ameraucana from you Cynthia is very much alive (the only Ameraucana this batch), as are 3 of the Orpingtons. From Catalpa I have 6 out of the 10 that are growing. I can't remember which was the one that I couldn't see through, so I may have an extra developing either from Catalpa or Cynthia.

6. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Quote:I bought some black Orps. from them a week after I bought from Julie. Im so Addicted lol. The eggs are really dark compared to the other Orp. eggs I have gotten? [​IMG] So it was hard to candle them. I bet I will have a problem seeing threw your Ameruncana eggs too?

7. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Christina and I bought them from Catalpa the same day, but hers arrived a lot sooner. I was wondering if the fairly low fertility rate was because they were in the mail so long, but maybe they were that way already. I hope I don't lose too many more along the way.

8. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Cara how many days are you on? Mine are due next Friday, I think. Well, I hope you get a decent hatch!

9. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    That's a good question LOL. I think i'm on Day 6 for Cynthia's and 7 for the others. They're due 28/29th Nov I think.

10. speckledhen

Christina, actually, the shells on my Ameraucana girls' eggs are nice and clear and usually pretty easy to see into up till about Day 10 or 12. I was amazed, really. They're easier to candle than brown eggs with speckles for certain, LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by