We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

I just can't seem to figure it out...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wornoutmomto3, Apr 3, 2015.

1. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Songster

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    Here is the list of chicks I ordered from Meyer Hatchery. I have figured out most of them but still need some help.

Easter Egger Female
    White Cochin Standard Female
    Silver Laced Wyandotte Female
    New Hampshire Red Female
    Golden Laced Wyandotte Female
    Buff Orpington Male and Female
    Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Female
    Barred Rock Female
    Blue Andalusian Female
    White Leghorn Female

Here are two that I am stumped about.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Free as a Bird

Free as a Bird Chirping

Aug 20, 2014
    New England
    Not quite sure what they are... But I do know what they are not! They are most likely not white Cochin, New Hampshire red, buff Orpington, barred rock or white leghorn. I am also don't think easter egger but not positive from those pictures. Sorry, I hope this helps!!! Good luck!

3. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Songster

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop

It was rather difficult with that White Cochin mixed in there. ;) lol!
    For me it is a toss-up between the Wyandottes and Easter Egger. I have another that looks more like the EE but I can't get a good picture of her.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Does the first bird have a rose comb? I think that they are the two Wyandottes. The top bird is likely the black form of a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte and the bottom bird looks like a Golden Laced.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

6. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Songster

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop

I didn't know that there was a black for of the BLRW. Does that mean that the "blue" is much darker?

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing

Jul 24, 2013
    When two Blue Laced Red Wyandottes (or any two blue birds) are crossed together, approximately 25% of the offspring will be be black (or have black replace the blue), 25% will be splash (the blue areas will be much lighter), and 50% will the the normal blue color. If the chick is the black form of Blue Laced Red Wyandotte offspring, the places that are normally blue will be an ordinary black color.

8. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Songster

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop

Does it still carry the blue gene? If it does, what roo would I breed this hen with to bring out the blue in the offspring?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  9. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Blue is an incomplete dominant. Meaning if the gene is there it will express itself. One copy of the blue gene dilutes black to blue. Two copies of blue dilutes black to splash. If your chick is a black laced red then it no longer has the blue gene.

This table may help you.

blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash
    blue x black = 50% blue, 50% black
    blue x splash = 50% blue, 50% splash
    splash x splash = 100% splash
    splash x black = 100% blue

If you want all blue offspring then breed a black laced red female to a splash laced red male. If you can only get a blue laced red male then half of the offspring will be black laced reds and half will be blue laced reds.

10. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Songster

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    Thank you! That table is very helpful. Just to make sure I understand this; since she is black I need a splash rooster to get blue chicks?
    I will start looking for a quality Splash Laced Red Rooster. She is still young, so I have some time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: