I just caught a neighborhood cat trying to get at my girls!!!

3chickchicks

Songster
9 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Utah
GRRR!!! Why can't people keep their pets in their own yards?

I keep my girls in the back yard behind a fence. I heard a commotion outside and had to shoo away this cat that had jumped my 6 ft fence. He didn't actually get any of my birds, but with the racket they made he must have gotten close.

I guess I need a pellet gun.
somad.gif

I think I'd just keep an eye out and see if he comes back. It's unusual for cats to make an attempt on full size chickens. Not unheard of, but unusual. He may have been curious or he may have been after sparrows or a rodent, who knows. I know my birds are completely unconcerned about my own cats but if a strange one shows up they make a racket, that alone usually makes the cat nervous enough to leave.

Karma is a son of a gun, start that kind of game with a pellet gun I bet it wont be long until someone finds a reason to pop one of your birds.

I can't think of a legal reason for somebody to come in your yard and kill your birds. Certainly not retaliation for protecting them in your fenced backyard. Although I would probably talk to the neighbors about it first.

Quote:
I did not say that. Like the above two post both say; cats normally don't go for standards and talking to the neighbor first is a better idea.

Methods of violence only begets more violence.

A pellet gun can easily kill (not scare) a cat that may have just been curious. If that cat where to injure or kill one of my chickens, I would call animal control. If the problem persisted, I might then take alternative measures.

Quote:
No, I can't think of a legal reason either. But if one of my animals was to inadvertently leave my yard and curiously wonder into my neighbors yard, I would hope that they would let me know of their concerns and intended future actions. If they didn't, and were to shoot and kill that curious animal, that placed no harm or no danger on their animals, although legally I am bound (depending on the state), you better bet I would take some action. Like I said, Karma.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about some co2 powered pellet gun but one with a spring. Those won't even break the skin, but it'll sting. I'm a bit offended that people here automatically assume I'm out to kill the thing.

Regarding legal rights, here in Texas, if an animal (pet or otherwise) attacks your livestock on your land, you are within your rights to kill it.

Calling animal control and having them catch it would more likely result in its death. That would be the easiest thing for me to do but they don't keep them long before putting them down. If I simply wanted to kill it, I'd just call them.
I don't know who the cat belongs to. There's no collar or tags. It could be a stray but it looks well fed so I'm assuming it's not.

Last edited:
If I were you I would get a pellet gun too, I also have rabbits as well. If an animal kills my animals then it gets shot. A. it is an animal that makes profit B. it is my pet C. depending on the animal (ie large aggressive dog) it could become a danger to people.

I'm not talking about some co2 powered pellet gun but one with a spring. Those won't even break the skin, but it'll sting. I'm a bit offended that people here automatically assume I'm out to kill the thing.

Regarding legal rights, here in Texas, if an animal (pet or otherwise) attacks your livestock on your land, you are within your rights to kill it. 

Calling animal control and having them catch it would more likely result in its death. That would be the easiest thing for me to do but they don't keep them long before putting them down. If I simply wanted to kill it, I'd just call them.
I don't know who the cat belongs to. There's no collar or tags. It could be a stray but it looks well fed so I'm assuming it's not. 

You should get a pellet gun. They're pretty inexpensive. I would shoot that cat right in the butt, enough to make him think twice about coming back. If the cat comes back, you can take different measures. Maybe ask around and try to see if the cat may belong to someone. I can't stand when people just let their pets roam around for other people to have to deal with, it's really irresponsible. Maybe they will understand and comply, maybe not. I respect you for not wanting to kill it, if it were in my yard, after my chickens, it probably wouldn't walk away. I really hope you can find a solution.

Back
Top Bottom