I just couldn't do it... *Updated w/weigts*

rooster0209

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
North Dakota
I have 4 Roosters, 5 hens and one silkie hen

Not a good ratio

I initially gave two roosters away, leaving me with 4. I tried to find homes for the two extra and couldn't

So today, a friend is coming over to take the two and butcher them. I just couldn't do it and dh was seeing a chicken retirement village. I am letting the friend keep one for his work.

I grew up having to watch the butchering of our rabbits and chickens and I just cannot participate in this, even thought I know it must be done.
hit.gif
hit.gif

dressed weight ...4.11lbs & 3.9lbs

Last edited:
have you tried listing them on craigslist? are there any farms nearby that may take them? that must be really hard to know they will be killed. you could always get more hens you know!

Quote:
Tried craigslist, called lots of farmers & people with chickens, even posted on BYC. No luck.

I do have more chickens on order with MMM to arrive in two weeks. Three of the breeds I ordered are straight run only, so I assume some will probably be roosters.

I have four roosters and seven Silkie hens. They do fine together. I also have 23 Silkie chicks in the brooder. Are your roosters fighting? Otherwise maybe you can just keep them til they find a new home? Maybe?

Quote:
I tried letting the 4 roosters and 5 hens run together. They were not fighting but my hens have bare backs
sad.png
I had to remove the silkie hen because the two roosters hurt her. Then one hen couldn't get off the roost without the two roosters fixating on her. I had the two roosters separate from the others but they were in the pen that will be my brooder when the new chicks come. It took a week of them being separated before the one hen would get off the roost.

I really wish I could have found the guys a new home. I tried. I am really sad they are gone. I will be roasting one and having the friend & his family over for supper when I do. I know its a part of having farm chickens but I just don't really like it.

maybe you could seperate the roos until you get more hens or get them a nice home? ask your local feed store if you could post something about roosters for sale.

Back
Top Bottom