I just dont get it

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Concordmommy, May 11, 2009.

1. Concordmommy

Concordmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Ok, so they complain about going into the coop at night, then complain in the morning and not want to come out!! It's 11am now and they still haven't come out of the coop into the run--a couple of them will venture out on the ramp, look around, then turn around and go back in. They only have water in there, no food. Aren't they going to starve? They look like they're pecking in the shavings--are they going to eat the shavings if I don't put food in the coop?Should I just put food in there until they figure things out? It's getting pretty irritating!!!

2. genabeana

genabeana Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2009
    Hendersonville, TN
    How old are they? If they're young and just recently went outside they are still figuring things out. Mine thought they lived under a tree. I kept them in their pen for 2 weeks, and they figured it out. At first they wouldn't go in the coop at night, I did have to put them in. That took about a week for them to "get".

Make some noise with the food, put it on the floor in a "trail" leading outside.

3. Concordmommy

Concordmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Yeah they are young and just got into their new digs last wednesday. I know eventually they'll figure it out but wondering if in the meantime I should put the food back in the coop or leave it outside for them. They have water, but no food unless they venture out. They sure are pecking at something in there though!

4. roosterjerry

roosterjerry Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    Rineyville,KY
    Today marks one week that my banties have been outside. For six days I had to put them in the coop. Last night I went out to look and they were all in I just had to close the door. This morning I opened the door and they all came spilling out:cool:

5. codybird

codybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Myrtle Beach
    Give them time.

They seem to be hardwired to eventually act like chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by