I just don't know what to do with my Silkie Girl :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wrestling_mom, Nov 8, 2011.

1. wrestling_mom

wrestling_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    My silkie (about 7.5 months old) has been acting oddly for about a month and a half. It started out where she would swing her head around every now and then, and she started walking with her head in her chest, started to walk backwards with head in chest, walking in circles, etc. Started her on vitamins last Friday. Pedialyte, vitamin E, Selenium, and Poly Vi Sol. Also, on Sunday, we dusted her in case she had lice or mites. At times, she seems to be able to move around and have her head out, but most of the time, she lays in her cage in the living room. She clucked a little yesterday, but mainly she sleeps curled up in a ball. She is a white silkie, but she is turning brown (dirt?) Her comb is a pale purple. I just don't know if she will get any better. She hardly eats or drinks. Is it time to cull her? None of her coop sisters (leghorn RIR and mixes) are displaying symptoms.

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Personally, I'd put the poor thing out of her misery. I'm no vet or expert, but the purple comb could maybe indicate poor circulation? The decision is, of course, entirely yours. My chickens aren't pets, so when one gets sick or seems to be suffering we put it down. Some people spend hundreds of dollars on their pet chickens by taking them to the vet. Personal choice.

3. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    Quote:She is our suprise Silkie [​IMG] Got her from TSC in March. Poor girl.

4. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Maybe something happened to her before you get her when she was at TSC. Or she was borm with a problem.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It really does sound like genetics or brain damage.. [​IMG]

I think you should cull her.. She has no quality of life with how she is now. Poor girl.. I'm so very sorry you have to make this tough decision..

6. wrestling_mom

Jun 3, 2011
    Henderson County, NC
    She was perfectly fine up until that point. No one free ranges, but they have a nice sized coop. She never had any indications of injury, and right now, she is up and eating. I don't get it, lol.

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I had a roo that did that, he started walking circles backwards, and he looked backwards as well. I spoon fed him for a few months. He had to learn to eat and I had to stand him in front of water. After 2 months, he got better, put on weight and started crowing again. Then he just slowly wasted away. He was looking like he was eating, but he wasn't actually eating. At the end, he couldn't walk and was getting pale/bluish, and we euthanized him.

He was my first death, and my hubby and I were super attached to him. I'd say he was around 2 years old. Our thoughts were, he was pecked in the head by another rooster. But there was no blood, only a patch of head feathers pulled out. Now as I look back, I think it might have been Marek's. It was something neuro and it wasn't good.

I hope your silkie gets better. You might want to try some B vitamins, esp. thiamine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by