I just don't understand my peers at all...

Chickengal505

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2010
Bolivia N.C
When ever I tell anyone near my age that I already have a steady paying job, and I have an internship lined up , the look on their face is priceless. They always come complaining to me when their "evil" parents won't give them money. And then they tell me how lucky I am that I have money in my pocket 24/7. I always ask "why do you think I have money all the time?" answer "because your parents spoil you and give it to you" response "I work for every dime I get" response "oh"
he.gif
rant.gif
Most of my friends don't even know what profestion their entering, and I'm choosing my college
hu.gif
I can run a house hold and they can't even wash a load of cloths
idunno.gif
th.gif
okay rant over

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel the same way. And when they see I have money they beg me for it. Work for your own money! I was also really surprised when my friend had a sleepover and it was just the two of us, she asked "So where's dinner? In the fridge?". I got some sosages out of the fridge and said "No, here's our dinner.". She looked at me and was really surprised. "Your parents make you cook for yourself?" Was her next question. "I cook for the family three nights a week."
rant.gif
I told her to slice some carrots and she got a butterknife out. Well, some families are just different.

My mom never made us do anything when we were growing up. She felt that kids should be kids; that there is a lifetime of adult responsibility around the corner, let kids enjoy their childhood instead of being a chore slave or her pet peeve... the family babysitter.
Her heart was well intentioned, but she did us no favors by not MAKING us lazy kids cook and do laundry.....
you two girls rock!

thumbsup.gif
clap.gif

sounds like both of you and your parents are doing a great job! just remember to have some fun too. you don't want to burn yourselves out too fast.

Sounds like you two girls are on the right track to being very successful.
I will tell you a story about a good friend of mine who I grew up with. She worked three jobs in High School and by the summer before our Senior year she had made enough money to buy herself a new truck, had numerous horses and bought her own house. She then went to on to basically buy about half of my home town. She still owns numerous businesses in town as well as being a real estate agent. Just because your current peers dont recognize your hard work and the value you have to society...DO not think that everyone else thinks the same.
Good luck to both of you!!
John

The problem isn't your peers. It is your peers' parents. They are the ones that have neglected to give their children the skills necessary to fend for themselves. They sure aren't doing them any favors. I lived with my aunt a lot when I was growing up back in the dark ages. There were five of us kids there and we all had chores. My aunt never did any housework. She was busy outside with the garden, chickens, and small livestock. She did the cooking, but we kids did everything else. Saturday mornings we would give the house a thorough cleaning and then we went to the movies in the afternoon. The older kids all had jobs after school and during the summer and contributed to the family income. When I lived at home with my folks I had an after school job to buy my clothes and any extras. I did a lot of the cooking, laundry, and ironing, too. I don't know when the function of children changed from being contributing members to the family and society to essentially being kept as pets where all their needs are catered to and they are not expected to lift a finger to earn their keep. All the kids learn from this is a sense of entitlement. Doesn't bode well for society as a whole in my humble opinion.

Back
Top Bottom