I just fed my chickens a smorgasbord!! Is that ok?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by spacecowgirl, Aug 21, 2011.

1. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    We had a big cookout over the weekend ( like most weekends ) and we had quite a bit of leftovers. Uneaten stuff, food left on plates, etc, wound up going on my "chicken platter" that I just went out to feed to my two, almost grown hens, and my two, seven week old chicks.

They LOVED it!!! [​IMG] I'm talking pork rib bones, corn on the cob, bread and rolls, all that good stuff. I know they aren't supposed to eat alot of fatty, salty foods, but they will absolutely pull every morsel off of a nicely cooked rib bone (or chicken bone, for that matter!), and I sat down there in the run with them and watched them play the keep-away game for a good 30 or 40 minutes!! It was hilarious!!!

My only question is, is this bad for them, and did I feed them too much "junk" food? They get healthy treats every day, but they just love our fatty, greasy people food! I just can't deny them; I'm such an enabler....anyone out there know if I'm actually doing them more harm than good??

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I don't think once in a while anything in moderation will hurt them. As long as it is an occasional treat, I would continue on with the fun! [​IMG]

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I agree, once in a while is fine...but if they get it more often, they may refuse their own feed and it is not good for them, salt, etc....

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    It is perfectly fine. Enjoy spoiling your birds. [​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I would've joined the chickens. [​IMG]

Imp

6. Kountreefok

Kountreefok Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Graceton, MN
    I agree with all the above but personally we won't feed back any chicken products.

7. ALRwild

ALRwild Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Idaho
    I feed my chickens treats daily, okay more than once a day. I know, they're getting spoiled, but they love the treats so much!!!! Go ahead and spoil your chickens. I wouldn't give them a FEAST every day, but treats every day are fine with me.

8. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    My kids and I give the zoo (dogs, ducks and chickens) treats every evening. Usually fruit or veggies left over from our dinner, but sometimes there is meat or bread left and they get that too. A little bit isn't going to gift them.

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Enjoy spoiling your birds, it's fine!! I feed mine chicken all the time!! [​IMG]

10. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I have been saving our scraps and the leftovers we dont end up finishing off and giving them to my birds. So far, they have gotten spagetti noodles (the guineas really liked them!), pretzels, bread, lettuce, oranges, cucumber (they were not impressed), pattypan squash (also a flop), mashed potatoes, some sandwich bits cooked chicken and raw chicken skin and some assorted other veggies. Next up is the watermelon and cantaloupe seeds and rinds, garlic bread, spinach, and tomatoes. I'm having too much fun with this, my hubby laughs at me. But then he catches bugs and puts them in a cup for me to take to the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by