1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just found 16 eggs from my one hen that wandered onto our property.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Whitesquirrel, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Whitesquirrel

Whitesquirrel New Egg

Dec 18, 2014
    Hey everybody. We have a single black sex link living in a make shift shelter while we work on getting a house built for her and get more hens. She wandered onto our property around Christmas and we kept her. She walks around our farm all day and we keep her safe in her shelter at night.

Today I decided to crawl up into her space and check out a little nest she had made and to my complete surprise there were 16 eggs in there. We are in Tn and the weather has been mild for Winter but definitely some freezing nights. I did the egg test and every one of them stay at the bottom of a bowl of water on their sides.

What do y'all think? Could these eggs still be good? How can I tell if I break them open if they're good or bad?

Thanks
    Tracy

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    They should be still good. In the summer my Red sex link hid 10 eggs somewhere and when I found them I ate them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by