i just found out im a criminal

mickeymousears

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
SLO; CA
I finally figured out where to find the chicken law of my city-it wasn't easy and it says for a single family home (which is how were zoned) no roosters. I have 1 rooster which I was concerned about his noise in the early morning. What do I do now??

Ugg. I'm sorry to hear that. There are two options. No three options:

#1 You could try to change the law. I've never had to go about doing this, but it can be done. Maybe someone else on this forum will be able to speak more in detail about how to go about this.

#2 You could try to rehome the rooster to another backyard chicken owner...

#3 You could lay low and maybe no one will say anything.

Good luck! Keep us updated.

I think well try to figure out how to trick him into crowing after 7 (which is the noise ordinance) and see if anything happens. Its a college town so most of my immediate neighbors are students -not to worried about them. Idk how far his sound reaches and how easily annoyed the rest of the block is. So if someone says something what happens? Animal control takes him away? I get a ticket? The stockades??

Anyone have any tips on how to silence him for an extra hour or so??

Uhm not surprisingly searching "cock box" took me to the realm of unique sexual fetishes and urban slang. Perhaps you could explain what YOU think a cock box is? LOL

Cock box is like a darkened animal carrier that you can put the rooster in to keep him quiet until a certain time.

I am afraid you will have to rehome the roo. You don't want to start the waves of chicken haters to change the city ordiance saying NO chickens, do you?

Do you really need a rooster?

What I do is I put my rooster in a storage container in my garage, i cover it with a lid with some holes in it. No light gets in and my rooster never crows! Maybe you should try that
smile.png
good luck

If you are legal otherwise I might wait till there is a complaint.Don't really need a roo though.

I tried the box thing.My roo just crowed in the box,and he crowed plenty all day once I did let him out.If crowing is an issue then you should just get rid of him,because you really can't stop them from crowing.

My roo crows in the shed in the am,and then when I take everyone to the backyard he crows throughout the day.I promised my kids I would not get rid of him until a complaint is filed,but it might result in the loss of all the chickens.As much as I like the roo I don't think they are worth fines,or the loss of the other poultry.

Quote:
I meant on BYC. Sorry, I guess I should have said that.

eta: the box is not only dark, it's too short to allow him to extend his neck to crow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom