I just gave away 22 roos and the silence is deafening!

eggseroneous

Songster
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
South-Western PA
Well, I did it. I kept putting it off and changing my mind. I had 22 cockerels 12 weeks, 8 weeks and 4 weeks old that I hatched. I just planned to keep the hens, but you know how that goes. I fell in love with roosters! Especially Vyvvyn, my sl/blr wyandotte roo. BUT reality set in and they HAD to go. Vyv was SO SWEET for the first 10 weeks, then, BAM!! Hormones really hit. My poor big toe will never be the same after that peck! (that'll teach me to wear sandals into the chook pen!)
Another HUGE factor is, my hen house is STILL not completely built. My hubby has not been well, and it just kept being put off. My chicks are in the unused front room in my house, separated from the rest of the house by french doors. It's a good thing that room was already partly gutted and slated to be remodeled, because it is now decorated in modern chicken. Chicken dust, feathers, poo, food, and just plain chickens. NOT fun. Also, 5:30 every morning, 22 roos crowing was starting to cause a slight problem.
lol.png

First I was going to have a friend take them to the stock sale for me because doing it myself would have been to painful. She said, sure, just "put 5 or 6 top a cardboard box, 'cause they sell them by the box full". WHAT? No thanks. I couldn't do that to my boys. So I put an ad on BYC, but no takers. In the mean time I asked a neighbor if she knew of anyone who could use a few roos. She thought she knew of a family who would love to have some and would let me know. I really didn't think I would hear back from her, but she told me the next day that the family would love to have them. Long story short(er), I took them ALL over to their farm yesterday! All 22 of them! Those boys LOVED their new coop and pen! The kids just picked them up and hugged them and everyone was happy. I know that the plan is in the fall, some of the fellers are going to freezer camp, but that does not bother me in the least, because I know that before that, they have been loved, got to eat bugs, hang out in the sunshine and run around and do what chickens do.

But now it is eerily quiet around here! 29 hens and one d'uccle roo. My front room looks like a tornado went through, sucked up half my chooks and left.
celebrate.gif

Now to get working on the hen house!!!

Anyone else missing their roos? I really do miss my guys, especially Vyv, but happy all turned out the way it did.

Last edited:
I know how you feel... I foster cats and kittens for a local no-kill animal sanctuary, and when one gets adopted I miss them for a long long time. *sigh*

Hope you get your coop and run construction going again! I don't know if it's been as hot up there as it is in Tennessee, but anything done outside here requires lots of water and shade breaks. I'll be glad when the weather starts turning.

Last edited:
My coop became so much more peaceful when I got rid of 12 very frisky teenage roos a few weeks ago. We still have very few, but it is eerily quiet sometimes. My girls are certainly much happier, though.

Quote:
I know what you mean! My kids and I volunteer at a cat sanctuary/low cost Spay Neuter program. It is sad and I sure miss them when they get adopted, but it is such a wonderful thing to see them go to their new homes! I keep reminding myself that there are more kitties out there needing our help and somehow there is always more room in your heart for the next one!

It has been very hot here too-upper 80's and 90's and gosh darn humid. I too am looking forward to the cooler fall weather.

Quote:
My girls are so much more calm and seem happier too! I do admit, I like the quiet! My one little d'uccle roo was crowing this morning and it was so much more pleasant than 22 roos competing with each other!
big_smile.png

Well, I may not have 22 boys, but I do have three extras and it's breaking my heart to even think about rehoming them.
sad.png
hit.gif
I love each and every one of my silly boys! They have such remarkable personalities, and quite distinct from each other.

I'm still trying to convince DH that we need to build three small coops and give each of the boys their own coop and flock. Nothing really big mind you. Just small flocks of 3 or 4 hens. It would make each of those boys so happy! I have friends about 3 miles from me that have too many BO pullets and would like me to take about a dozen or so of them. They're about 2 months behind the boys in age, but Floyd and Karen are willing to hang on to them until I'm ready. Now, if I could just convince DH to go through with it!

Until then, my only option is to keep going the way I have been and that is to separate Brutus, CB and Little Red from the main flock every morning and put them in the side run. They just drive poor Chief crazy with all of their antics, and in their frenzy to be the first to mount one of the girls, I'm afraid they're too rough on my little ladies. But I think if I could get them settled into their own flocks and keep everybody separate, things would calm down considerably around here!

Aaaah, the lengths we'll go to just to keep these silly boys around, eh?

awww, im sorry you had to rehome them but at least they went to a good home, and im sure youll appreciate the quiet... lol oh and hey btw i am also currently in pa
smile.png

"Well, I may not have 22 boys, but I do have three extras and it's breaking my heart to even think about rehoming them. I love each and every one of my silly boys! They have such remarkable personalities, and quite distinct from each other.

I'm still trying to convince DH that we need to build three small coops and give each of the boys their own coop and flock. Nothing really big mind you. Just small flocks of 3 or 4 hens. It would make each of those boys so happy! I have friends about 3 miles from me that have too many BO pullets and would like me to take about a dozen or so of them. They're about 2 months behind the boys in age, but Floyd and Karen are willing to hang on to them until I'm ready. Now, if I could just convince DH to go through with it!"

^^Exactly what I'm going through and exactly what I want to do.
hit.gif

Quote:
I think that's a great idea! Too bad it couldn't have worked for me! But then my yard would have looked like a subdivision!
lol.png

I can certainly sympathize with you....ALL of my boys had their own little quirks and personalities. My Vyvvyn would always come running when I opened the door. He'd give me THAT look...you know the one...."So hand over the eats!".... and he was always the first to get a bite of whatever the treat of the morning was. He always came when I called him too.
It broke my heart the day he pecked my poor big toe. I gotta laugh about it now. He was just doing his job. He loved taking care of the ladies. I can only imagine the stress they were all under though, being so many boys trying to do what comes naturally, and the space was not conducive to harmony. Now they are learning to be free range birds and I am sure will have many adventures they would have not had the chance to have here. I really didn;t think I could actually do it and give them away. I am sure that if I did not come across this great family to give them to, I would still be stressing over it. I really wasn't looking forward to having to put an ad on Craigslist. Those people scare me! I would be worrying about them and where they ended up. I guess I was very fortunate!

One funny thing...when we were leaving their farm, they gave us 18 FERTILE eggs....and for me, the hatching addict, my thoughts started in motion, "Ok, I can hatch out these guys and...." but before I got too far, my dear 14 year old son said, "These are going STRAIGHT into the fridge when we get home! I'm having scrambled eggs in the morning and lots of 'em!" and when I started to protest he gave me the "zip the lip" gesture!
barnie.gif

Ok, so I gotta wait till spring to hatch some more. I HOPE my coop will be built before then!

I really think your idea is a great one and here's hoping you can convince the hubby to build it!
fl.gif

Quote:
Thank you. Yeah, it was hard, but necessary. I'm doing ok now, and the quiet is nice. Now I can get a chair and sit out there and enjoy them--where before there was squabbling and my toes were not safe.

In what part of PA are you? I'm in the extreme south west corner. Good to see another PA person!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom