I just gave away 6 of my "Packing Peanuts"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by augustmomx2, Apr 10, 2009.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    So, I knew this day was coming...but dh took 6 of my packing peanuts (RIRs or Production Reds) to his friend at work [​IMG] They will eventually be eaten for dinner...my ds was devastated to see them go (although he has no idea what their final fate will be).

I knew we couldn't keep them, but still they're only 4.5 wks old and they still need their mommy (me). Anywho, I know they are going to a good place & he'll take care of them well ...until he eats them.

This is my first time raising chickens & this is all so new to me. On a good note, I kept one of my packing peanuts. It seems as tho this one will be a hen...she has a very small, tan colored comb & no wattles [​IMG] My ds was excited we got to keep one "rooster."

2. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    Should have told him they were all hens! Then you could have kept them. Just think now you can give more love to your hens!

3. hoosierfarmgirl

hoosierfarmgirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I have 9 "packing peanuts" that are the friendliest chicks in the brooder. They are 2 1/2 weeks old, and will go to a farm when they get their feathers. Two will get to live there as breeders and the others will be going in the freezer. I don't really think I want a rooster, but my friendly boys have me thinking about it! Have fun with your girls now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by