1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just gave my dog a mani/pedi...good grief!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dar, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    well this is her...my spoiled dog

[​IMG]

she is getting old and her hips are bothering her a lil she is slipping quite a but on the hardwood floors so i decided to trim her nails to help her with traction..

anytime i go near her with the traditional doggie nail clippers she runs...but i noticed on a commercial they were advertising a tool that filed the animals nails down..

so down to the basement i go and get DH's dremel tool with the long attachment so i can hold it like a pencil and away i went...

[​IMG] [​IMG] IT WORKED...like a charm...n more click click as she walks accross the floor and no more fears of the dreaded doggie nail cutters

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Dremel tools are great. I did a beak trim on a young pullet with one. It was fast, easy and she did not have time to stress or fuss about it.

3. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    i was just worried about heating up the nail to much...i know how much it hurts when i am at the nail salon and this happens to me

4. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    We use them here with the igger Parrots and some small one also.
    gives them a brain message rigt along with beak trimming, quick, fast painless ,
    best of all bloodless on the handler, some big parrots have no sense of humor [​IMG]

5. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    How did you get her to hold still. I bought that pedipaw thinking it would help me do our dogs but noooo [​IMG] they dont like the noise and want to eat you when you try to do it. I guess we'll still be making trips to the vet. Just to let you know they arent cooperative for the vet either.

6. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    Quote:Does your dog have long hairs in between her toes? My Collie does & in the summer I trim the hair while I give her haircuts so she doesn't slip. I don't do that in the winter cuz it keeps the snow from packing in between her paws while outside to potty. The snow at times can be perfect for packing & has her limping up the steps with ice balls... even when she was out for only a minute at the real low temps. [​IMG]

My Mother used to have a minature Collie & he too had bad hips in his old age & the extra in between pad hair would have him slipping on the hardwood. It helped him Greatly to have the hair trimmed. Just a thought. [​IMG] We do anything for our Senior pets that we love. [​IMG]

7. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:I have been very lucky...with all my pets i played with their paws right at a young age i would pet the paw and them as they got more comfortable with me petting their paws i started holding them just like we were holding hands...so all of my pets will let me do just about anything to them..i can even take a lil shaver i have just for the dogs its about the size of an egg and i can trim the hair between the pads of the foot..

Mrs country chick....i do that too i trim hers all the time but i noticed the other day after the toe hair trimming she was now clicking on the floors...

I have also added a few carpet runners so now it loks like a have some sort of track around my house

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
  8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    A trick if you have a dog with a psychotic aversion to getting their nails trimmed. I have one that HATES it - you'd think that someone had cut her toes off one by one with a dull knife before but she's never even had a nail bleed when I've cut them before - it's just her paranoia.

I take one of my husband's long tube socks and put it over her head and pull down her neck. For whatever reason, that seems to work - it' keeps her from seeing what's coming and it keeps ME from getting nipped and having to fight the dog so much. The sock isn't on there long enough to suffocate her and is porous enough to let air through anyway, but if you are worried, I suppose you could cut a small hole for the nose to stick out of the end of the sock.

That's just what works for me....YMMV.

9. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Oh she'll let me hold her paws and rub and love on them but pull out the clippers or the pedipaw and she becomes a wild heathen [​IMG]. She's super sweet otherwise but when it comes to those claws, watchout! I keep asking my DH to make a pully system for me so I can hang her from the ceiling to get to her claws (just joking). I've even tried just a little nail file like I use on my nails but once again noooo. I could understand this if we had gotten her as an adult but we got her when she was three months old. (we adopted her from the humane society, she was the product of a puppy mill raid) .

10. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    hey i hear ya about the pully thing...we need to do something like that with my lil dog...she is not a fan os the nail clippers so DH has to hold her while i cut...

but today was so easy with the big dog...she just sat there...she didnt even try and pull away i thught the vibration was gonna send her through the roof..

it was so funny the first time i tried the egg shaped hair trimmer on her she walked around shaking her paws for about 15 minutes...picture the way a cat shakes their paws when they have stepped on tape..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by