1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just got 3 big chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bjacks, Apr 21, 2016.

1. bjacks

bjacks New Egg

Apr 21, 2016
    I have had two silky/gold lace wyandotte since last year and when I saw someone that had to get rid of her chickens because of trouble with her neighbors I sent my husband over to buy them so that our little 'flock' could have a respectable number of chickens. I knew our two were smaller because of the mix the woman I got them from said they were but I did not quite realize how huge regular sized chickens are.

I don't want my little bantys to get killed. Normally people are worried about the new chickens in the introduction but I'm terrified that the three I just got will kill my established two chicken flock. I just got two gold lace wyandottes and a white leghorn.

Right now the bantams are in the coop and the giants are in the run. When I get home from work I'm going to but the bantams in a baby gate next to the coop but I'm worried that the new girls will think the coop is theirs and be more territorial.

Should I just get another coop? Or is it possible to not end up with dead chickens here?

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Chances are they wont kilk eachother.
    Byt put the big hens in a small pen first.

The bantams may realize their outsized and back down,but it dependsbon what they think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by