I just Got 4 Cochins,now What

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TheTwoRoos, Nov 22, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    We went to give our roosters away,and then we ended up with 4 baby Cochins.I do not know anything about this breed.

When I went in there there were a ton of Cochins and other hens and two little roosters,no idea what they were (thinking Cochin as well.)She offered to give us 6 (Along with a baby roo),but I absolutely want nothing to do with another roo that i'll get attached to and just have to give em away.

But I do believe with 4 we got,ones a roo.What are they like?

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    All of my cochins are sweethearts <3

3. wildhorseannie

wildhorseannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    Eastern Virginia
    I bought Cochins for the sole purpose of hatching future generations for me but they have turned out to be excellent layers, when they are not broody or molting. They are sweet, calm, and adorable with their feathered feet.

4. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Do tehy get cold very easily?Wanted to take them outside but it's only 50 out...

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    How old are these chicks? Were they from a sexed hatchery order or did she hatch them? If she hatched them then you will most likely have more cockerels to deal with. Even sexed chicks aren't a guarantee.

We go an oops cockerel last year. He turned into a butthead last Christmas, so he became New Year's Day chili. The hens are nice, although exceedingly broody for hatchery stock.

6. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    8 weeks,i'm probably gonna get 2 more.

7. chkiror

chkiror Just Hatched

Oct 29, 2016
    Portland oregon
    I only have one Cochin and she is broody every year. She is a good mother and her chicks always do well. I would have more but I don't like the feathered feet as my set up tends to be too muddy in the winter rain .

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

50 degrees is fine for them to go out. Even at way younger. Depending on thing like rain and wind to though. Always provide a huddle box for the young groups.

But I agree you will end up with more cockerels, though you might be able to tell by 8 weeks.

My Cochin is fine, maybe the most gentile. But dumb as a box of rocks and turns circles for days! [​IMG]

Also, we get the same kind of rain a s Portland and I am leaning away from feathered feet as well.

Also, I don't care what that lady says.... it's YOUR flock at risk if you don't quarantine! Not all illness or parasites can be detected in the brief time you are checking them out. They may be carrying something that hasn't manifested yet. And though they came from a brooder, They also came from her flock! How sure is she about biosecurity if she INSISTED that you integrate into your flock right away or didn't quarantine yours from hers? How many other peoples' has she cross contaminated with beside from you?!

Sorry to sound like a buzz kill! [​IMG]

9. wildhorseannie

wildhorseannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    Eastern Virginia
    I agree with EggSighted4life. Not only is it a tad reckless to add new birds you know nothing about, but if they are youngsters, your established adult flock will pick on them. Everyone has an opinion, and mine is : 8 weeks is too young to join the flock. Nothing kills a buzz like disease or injured pets. [​IMG]

10. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

My broods always join my flock around the 8 week mark. But that is after being on the same pasture for many of those weeks with a look but don't touch set up and plenty of hiding spaces with small areas the bigger chickens can't get to. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by