I just got a lifetime supply of wood chips...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Oblio13, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    A tree service took down some white pines and red oaks in the neighborhood. I told them they could dump the chips on our land - I use them for bedding and mulch around the fruit trees. When I came home from work, there were four mountains of the stuff.

My wife's a little perturbed, but they have to be mad about something, right?

:|

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

We had the same thing happen. I filled my runs with them. The chickens love scratcing in them.

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    You're lucky. I was just thinking that we could use more wood chips to freshen the areas around the coop and the raised garden beds.

Your wife will be REALLY mad if you don't disburse the piles soon enough and they spontaneously explode from the buildup of decomposition heat.

4. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Now that you mention it, she does get annoyed when I blow up the house and cars and stuff. Even when I accidentally shut her cat in a bedroom for a couple days.

5. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Gee-- send them my way!! I'd love a mountain of wood chips [​IMG]

6. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    I want free wood chips, no fair!!

7. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    [​IMG] But you need to figure out how to bag them up to keep the moisture out, oh and if left out there long enough they will draw Termites and Carpenter Ants

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by