I just got a mallard and some Bantams and They aren't laying??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TayFray!, Apr 19, 2011.

1. TayFray!

TayFray! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Vienna, Maine
    I just got a female mallard and 3 bantam chickens, my mallard laid an egg the first day and she had been laying before i got her but what about now?? and my bantams were laying eggs before i got them, they hadn't laid anything in the two days before but today one of them laid an egg! what am i doin wrong? what should i do!

2. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    TayFray! :

I just got a female mallard and 3 bantam chickens, my mallard laid an egg the first day and she had been laying before i got her but what about now?? and my bantams were laying eggs before i got them, they hadn't laid anything in the two days before but today one of them laid an egg! what am i doin wrong? what should i do!

[​IMG]

Just wait. Give them time to settle in.

Did you check around for places they may have laid them in hiding in their new enviroment?

Oh, and don't feed them to many treats. Learned THAT the hard way. [​IMG]

RE the Mallard? Did you post question on the duck thread? I don't know anything about Mallard's laying habits.​

3. TayFray!

Apr 16, 2011
    Vienna, Maine
    ok thankyou, and i have found 2 eggs so far one from the old english bantam and one from the mallard, and i have done a little bit of reasearch so i think i will be ok!

4. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

How long have you had them? It is perfectly normal for them to stop laying for a few days after being moved around.I've had some go over 2 weeks without laying. It just kind of rattles their system for a bit. Give them a chance and don't give up too quickly.

5. TayFray!

Apr 16, 2011
    Vienna, Maine
    well i got them saturday, so ok, thankyou!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by