I just got a rooster & 2 laying hens of about 1 year old...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by judyki2004, Jan 29, 2012.

1. judyki2004

judyki2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    My Coop
    would love to know what breed they are? [​IMG]

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

look like black sex links

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

yes, BSL.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. chikinfarmr

chikinfarmr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2011
    Southern tip of Illnois
    You might want to buy or make some saddles for the hens.

5. judyki2004

Jan 6, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    My Coop
    So black sex link... they are big and the roo is trying to establish its territory and what a noise! ( even when this is a urban area is a small town, so the neighbor have her chickens ranging free around the urbanization and her rooster keep flying over the fence to our property... my poor husband is trying to be happy camper but... :O/

6. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    That roo looks so big in comparison to the girls. I agree, definitely black stars.

7. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Well, if your neighbor has a rooster that comes to visit, you could probably get rid of yours. You will still be able to hatch chicks if you want some day, and your girls won't get bare backs. :) Hens will lay without a rooster. A lot of people new to chickens don't seem to know that.

8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    by the way, black sex link isn't a real breed. They are cross breeds bred for egg laying and to be sexed at hatch by color.

9. judyki2004

Jan 6, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    My Coop
    I would love to keep mine not because is needed for the hens to lay, but because is gorgeous, I hope the neighbor's rooster understand that mine will not invade his territory or try to "steal" hens from his harem as he is confined to his own coop/run and has his own girls. I wish that rooster stop flying into our property.

Thanks so much![​IMG]

10. judyki2004

Jan 6, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    My Coop
    Saddles? Why? never saw such a thing here... well sorry I grow up in the country, in Puerto Rico so I'm used to "have chickens "in my mom's house but they are like part of the landscape, free ranging full time, we feed them twice a day, but hardly get an egg from them, they breed, lay, hatch and those that survived natural predators will live & die naturally and only once in a blue moon one of them may end into a pot of soup for someone who is sick or just have a baby...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by