I just got mealworms!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by collingwood, Oct 29, 2014.

1. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone I just got my mealworms today! And at the moment they're eating chicken food and rolled oats! Do I need to give them water?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Congratulations on the mealworms!

I'm not a mealworm expert, but I have raised quite a few in the past. You don't want to give them straight water (poured on their food, etc.), since that will soak everything and encourage mold growth. Instead, there are several other ways to give them moisture:

Apple: Cut up and apple and put a few slices in with your mealworms face down. Thirsty mealworms will latch on and suck the moisture out of the apple. Remove the apple every few days to prevent mold and give them fresh moisture.

Moistened paper towel: Tear off a piece of paper towel and dampen it with water. Then, lay it down on top of the mealworm's area. Like with the apple, they will suck the moisture from the paper towel. Re-moisten the paper towel every few days, and replace as needed (mealworms tend to tear up or eat the paper towel eventually).

I believe you can also cut a potato into slices and put the slices in with them. Once again, replace the potato slices ever so often to ensure they're getting enough moisture and to prevent mold.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  3. Sustained

Sustained Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    I feed mine veggie and fruit scraps. That's it. the water content in the scraps should be enough for them. My mealworm farm is doing great and they're multiplying like crazy.

4. collingwood

Hi thanks for your help but I looked at my mealworms this morning and they seem to be sleepy and tired and not doing anything! Is this normal? Is it possible they got too cold? because the ones under the newspaper are fine!

5. Sustained

Sustained Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Oregon
    They prefer the dark so possibly that's why the ones under the newspaper seem happier and more active

6. collingwood

Thanks but they've got a lid I think they were just cold!

7. collingwood

I left them outside last night and it rained so their food is a bit moist will they be okay?

8. collingwood

Hi when do mealworms start breeding?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by