I Just Got My First Crow!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickie Mamma, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    OOOHHHH, my baby is now a man! I just went out to do my farmer duties and I heard it. It was actually a cockadoodledoo! I have always had only hens and never actually heard one. It is exciting (maybe I need more hobbies). He is 4 months old, does this mean he is almost old enough to mate? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Old enough to mate depends upon breed, but CONGRATULATIONS! the first crow always tickles me, too. I love it when they're practicing, sound like they're gargling. [​IMG]

3. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks... I don't know if he's been doing it for a while and I just have not heard him, but it was a PERFECT crow. He's a black silkie and it was not too loud. I hope it stays that low, then I would consider keeping him. We have neighbors [​IMG]

4. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Congrats on the crow. I am excited that my guys are crowing too.. sort of. They cannot stay here, is the sad thing.

my little roos are only 12 weeks old and trying to mate. Not sure if they could make babies yet though.

here is a picture of Little Rusty crowing this am

[​IMG]

5. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Too cute! Are yours really loud? I have mine housed so it was kind of muffled in there. I don't think anyone can hear him yet. In the spring (when windows are open) is when I worry about!

6. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I must admit my first thought was: "Where did they get a crow from and why would they want one?" Followed closely by: "Hmm, maybe I'll get one."
    [​IMG] (Anybody else think migraines suppress brain cells?)

Congratulations!

7. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
  8. FisherMOM

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    HA HA Chick-n-farmer.. I wondered why they got a crow too... but I didnt think about getting one! hahaha!

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Too funny, never occurred to me to tape the silly birds! [​IMG]

10. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:Sometimes I think being on BYC makes me worse. Everytime somebody mentions a breed I don't recall I have to go look it up to see if I want one, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by