I just got my first six chicks yesterday and need advice please!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickscleo, May 19, 2011.

1. chickscleo

chickscleo New Egg

May 18, 2011
    I am not sure I am cut out for this, I worry about everything! Yesterday when we got the chicks, one of them was always alone because the others didn't seem to like her. Today they are all walking around eating and drinking except now a different one does nothing but sleep even when I try to encourage her to eat and drink...How long before they are all acting like normal little chicks? I guess what I am asking is, is there a window as far as losing baby chicks? If so, when will I be able to sleep again at night...Haha! I have a feeling I will be back asking more silly questions...Thank you in advance![​IMG]

2. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]
    Well, you could lose them at any time. But if they look ok, chances are they will be ok. You will probably stop worrying so much about 2 weeks after you have them, I know i did, I still worry when they're outside but i watch them reallllll closely. [​IMG]

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    First, [​IMG]

Next, OMG, I worried about every little thing and was totally OBSESSED with chick behavior. You will gradually calm down [​IMG] We are all here to help. Breathe in, breathe out. [​IMG]

4. Sassafras

Sassafras Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    N.H.
    They usually sleep a lot the first day or so. You do need to check to make sure they don't have what they call "pasty butt" whick is when the poo dries to their butt. If it is drying on there you need to wash it off with a coth with some warm water or it could stop them up and they can fail very quickly. Probably common sense but dry the little fluffy butt with something before putting her back in the brooder. Have fun and post some pictures when you can!

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]

Did you receive shipped chicks or buy them elsewhere? Are they day olds?

If you can, dip the beak of the one not eating and drinking in the water every so often to encourage it. In my experience, that is a bad sign.

There is a disease called coccidiosis that can strike new chicks, but also the shipping can make them stressed. If you just got the chicks, it is likely stress. Some fail to thrive.

If the little one continues to not drink, I'd add sugar water to your brooder and dip its beak once an hour until it perks up. Here is the recipe for sugar water (scroll down for very stressed chicks sugar water recipe):

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Been there, done that, got the poop on my shoulders to prove it. [​IMG]

Let me add my three usual warnings to new chick parents:

1. When you walk in and see all the chicks dead, do not panic. They are sleeping. They just fall asleep any old way, even on thir backs or sides! Just tap the brooder and watch them wake up.

2. That is not a siezure you see, the chick is dust-bathing in the brooder bedding. Honest.

3. Chicks WILL "sun bathe" in the heat lamp emissions, stretching out a wing, then roll over and warm the othe side, too.

4. Okay, another: chicks WILL peck at each others' eyes! It does not usually harm them, they are just attracted to shiny things. The eye-pecking behavior passes after a few days.

5. Okay, one more: ALL chicks chest bump each other, not just baby roosters! This is no indication of roosterhood. It is part of the establishment of the pecking order.

Oh, and [​IMG]

7. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Quote:Great comments ! couldn't agree more [​IMG]
    I had a chick that was pecking only the three yellow chicks eyes - so much so that it was causing one chicks eyes to stick closed so I ended up rubbing their heads with blue food coloring to help make their eyes not so noticible - it did work - even if i ended up with green headed chicks [​IMG]

I love watching the darn little buggers be running around, then suddenly stop and fall asleep standing up - only to fall over - then wake themselves up because they fell over LOL.

8. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

9. t_4_turtle

t_4_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Quote:your great!

10. bsntomsn

bsntomsn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    I have found the BEST HATCHERY EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    www.healthychicksandmore.com

Amazing. They must be like a small business, not overwhelmed with dates of july or august to provide chickens. !! Love em:thumbsup:clap:weee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by