I JUST GOT NEW DUCKS FIRST TIME DUCKIE here.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ronmybaby, Apr 7, 2011.

1. ronmybaby

ronmybaby New Egg

Dec 12, 2010
    [​IMG] I just got one male Mallard and two female Mallards yesterday. I placed them in our pond. I bought some cracked corn. What else can I feed them?? I throw the cracked corn near the waters edge. They run off swimming and don't understand I am there to feed them. Hopefully in time they will come to me. I was afraid they would leave last night not knowing where they were now but this morning there they were near the waters edge. [​IMG]

Please give me some help and advice for my new ducks. They (girls) have not had babies yet all are about 1 ro 2 yrs old I believe. Thanks so much for any duck help [​IMG]

2. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    You may want to feed them a layer feed designed for ducks/chickens. Cracked corn is kinda like a 'killer filler' in the sense that it is higher in carbs but doesn't provide the essential nutrients.

3. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Yep and they love floating catfish feed.Try that to get them to get the idea your a friend.

4. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Congrats! YOu can cut up some veggies into small pieces and give them that. I use romaine, escarole, swiss chard, chicory, dandelion greens, cut up carrots, cut up peppers and throw them either on the ground or in their pool, they scarf them up! And of course, PEAS! Mine also get layer pellets, and the cracked corn in the winter only. The girls get a calcium supplement too.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  5. ronmybaby

ronmybaby New Egg

Dec 12, 2010
    Quote:Yeah!!! Thanks guys!! I already throw fish feed for the crappie little fish in the pond. So they can eat that fish feed too. Love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by