I just got SO lucky!

bt03

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Over the rainbow...
I posted in the feeding your flock section also but no one really knows about ducks. I went to the local grocery store and found out that they just throw out the produce scraps (still edible) and they will give them to me for free
wee.gif
Today they had 2 boxes and one of them was a lot of mixed green veggies, mostly cabbage and things like that. The other box was fruit but a lot of that was citrus fruit. I know not to give them things like the jalapenos (but my dog likes those
sickbyc.gif
) but what else can I NOT give them? I love the fact that my duckies will be getting fresh greens every day now but I'd hate to give them something that would make them sick.

There is a list on this forum of all the acceptable veggies and treats to feed ducks. It is a pretty extensive list and VERY helpful. My guess off hand would be that the cabbage is a no no, but I am not sure. I do know spinach is not recommended for ducks. I feed mine romaine lettuce, chard, escarole, dandelion greens, chopped tomatoes, chopped carrots, chopped green or red pepper, chopped celery.

I occasionally feed mine a pepper that's rated "not hot" on the scale. Jalapenos really aren't that hot, they all go crazy over them.

Quote:
I forgot about Nettie's list! I never made it past the good stuff for ducks to check out the bad stuff at the bottom. I'm glad it's all inclusive because one box has a lot of citrus and that is a no-no on the list. I'm just glad there is still a whole box of veggies that I can give them to cut down on the amount of crumbles they eat and that cuts down on feed cost and fresher is always better as far as I'm concerned
celebrate.gif

Quote:
lol... I was kind of concerned for a min and was going to ask if you really do feed your ducks jalapenos! DD's dog like all things spicy but I didn't think the ducks would like them very much, the spoiled brats
gig.gif

Actually, many people give their chickens and parrots hot peppers. Birds don't have the ability to 'taste' capascin (spelling prob wrong) the same way we do, to them it is a flavor. It's often given as a treat

Quote:
Yep! However I stop at jalapenos, what chicken wants an upset stomach? They don't understand.

I think ducks aren't made for any spicyness.

Quote:
Yep! However I stop at jalapenos, what chicken wants an upset stomach? They don't understand.

I think ducks aren't made for any spicyness.

Songbirds in Texas and other parts of the Southwest regularly feed on the wild 'Chiletepin' or bird peppers that grow there. These tiny little peppers are something like 10 to 25 times as hot as a Jalapeno. Birds really do not have problems with hot peppers. My chickens were happy to eat the pepper plant foliage at the end of the season last year.

Back
Top Bottom