1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I just got some new babies 2 week ago ? Breed and if possible any ideas on Gender??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by julescar74, Apr 1, 2012.

1. julescar74

julescar74 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2012
    Aiken, SC
    Here are my new babies the bigger ones are 4[​IMG] weeks old and the littles are 2 weeks old can anybody tell me what kind they are and whether or not its too soon to get an idea of whether or not I have boys or girls. I know its early but I'm anxious because 22 wks ago I got 9 chickens and 8 turned out to be boys and the main reason I wanted chickens in the first place were for the eggs, and I'm also finding out how much I like chickens. [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    my little feisty red head
    [​IMG]this one is was so hesitant outside the cage
    [​IMG]
    so far this is the only one that looks more like a girl to me so far but I've been know to be really really wrong
    [​IMG]camera shy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]you lookin' at me?? to cute I think this one didn't want to be bothered
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]so so cute
    [​IMG][​IMG] sorry about this fuzzy pic I can't seem to delete it off the thread
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I love the way on the little ones the feet are pink and grey and one actually has all pink feet they're an adorable bunch (even though the ones that are 4 wks remind me of little vultures at this point I know they'll be so much prettier in a couple weeks.
    Thanks in advance for all the info you can give me. I love this site its been so helpful and beneficial to a new chicken mommy like me. Of course I had and still have a zillion questions but you're threads have been a godsend.

2. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    I think I see some BR, BSL, BA, and the first chick is MALE!

1 person likes this.
  3. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    The blue (gray) one and the red-headed one remind me a lot of two mixed-breed chicks I got in October. This is what they look like now:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I think yours are probably just mixes because of the variety of colors and body types. Of course, I could be wrong.

1 person likes this.
  4. julescar74

Mar 18, 2012
    Aiken, SC
    thanks for your reply. I was wondering how can you tell or rather what helps you determine boy or girl at this stage in their life? Is it the way they hold themselves or something on their head or what should I look for?

5. julescar74

Mar 18, 2012
    Aiken, SC
    mixes work for me I just hope I have more girls than boys this time. I ended up with so many males last time it was disheartening. I mean what are the odds 9 chicks 8 are boys and one is a girl. I really hope I have better odds this time.

6. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    8 out of 9 being roos is pretty extreme... my experience with straight run chicks (and chicks I've hatched) has been almost exactly 50/50.
    Right now, you will probably not be able to tell unless any of them have unusually large or red combs. Sometimes roos have larger/thicker legs, but a pullet could just as easily have big legs.
    With the older ones you have, I think you are right about the one you think is a pullet.
    If you got them from a feed store, they will likely be "purebreeds" from a hatchery, so they could be Austrolorps or BSLs, but not barred Plymouth Rocks because I see no head spots. As for the blue one, maybe blue Orpington?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by